Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index Sylmar Hang Gliding Association
Get High...Go Far...Tell Us About It

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wednesday Volunteers 11/23/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Club Projects / Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greblo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Wednesday Volunteers 11/23/11 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's clear that people don't want to crawl below the gazebo and dig dirt for hours, so tomorrow we'll try something new.

I could really use a couple of volunteers to help me try to wash the dirt out from under the gazebo tomorrow, beginning at around 10 am.

First we bulldoze a 6'X6'X2' pit at the entrance to the glider storage area. Next we'll use a high pressure water hose to flush the mud and stones out into the pit where the high volume mud pump transports the mud and water through a discharge hose and across the grass and into the river bed.

The small rocks and stones that wash into the pit are then removed with the skip loader.

We know it's a lot easier because we've tried it. We just need to see if it's efficient enough to make the job much faster.

Email me tonight and let me know if you're coming so I can rent a 3" suction hose for the hydraulic pump. I'm at windsports@earthlink.net

Joe
Don

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Fun! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember as a kid getting in trouble for doing things like this. Very Happy

Unfortunately, I have a job and they actually expect me to be here so I'll have to miss the fun. Confused
greblo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tom Shafer, Adam Newman and I spent the day dredging for gold. At least I thought they said "gold". Turns out they said "cold", of which there was plenty.

4 and one-half hours in the pit and we were done with the longest glider bay. Boy do we have a deal for you. Take your pick; 5 hours bent over shoveling dirt or 5 hours laying on your side manning a fire hose and sluicing dirt.

You had better sign up early as it's first come-first serve.
skygeek AKA Seabass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Joe that was a heck of a operation, last person I saw that dirty was my 3 year old. I could only imagine how sore you are thanks to all of you. But with the cost of the fuel for the pump & tractor plus water and only shaving an hour of time, digging seems the cheaper option. So all you volunteers line up its free to dig.
adamwn2000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
With the cost of the fuel for the pump & tractor plus water and only shaving an hour of time, digging is a cheaper.

Looks like Seabass just volunteered Surprised
TomS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the mention, Joe, but you and Adam did all the hard work. I just moved a few hoses around and then drove some pilots up the hill.
Busto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Isn't that the truth.
dhmartens

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brilliant use of high pressure water. The Egyptians employed the same technique against the Bar Lev Line at the Suez Canal in 1973
The Pressurized water part starts at 1:55

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Club Projects / Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: