Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index Sylmar Hang Gliding Association
Get High...Go Far...Tell Us About It

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid-Feb Hook-In Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Safety and Incidents in flight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frederick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Mid-Feb Hook-In Failure Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Hook in failure revisited
I did it again. In the setup area I hooked my harness in before getting into it. I separated the four straps (each side for main and backup), put the carabineer around two of them, and locked the gate. I gave two more visual inspections. Yes, two straps going through the carabineer and it was locked. On launch my nose man asked me if I was hooked in. I answered with a firm yes because I was certain. By the end of the ramp I could tell something was weird. I tumbled off the end thinking my glider was tumbling with me. After the motion stopped and I stood up, I didnít see my glider. I looked at my carabineer and it was still locked. I must have put it around both straps of only one loop. My eye saw what my brain expected it to see. A physical hang check would have caught my error."
NME

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Lift and Tug Before You get Off!"

At the beginning of our launch run lift the glider until we clearly feel our leg loops pulling up against the inside of our thighs. This confirms whether or not there is a connection going from our legs to our glider. I have had many acquaintances who did hang checks then slid out of their harnesses in the air and were left dangling by their armpits just like the good ole days of the Batso, Bamboo Butterfly and Hang Loose. Except they were all flying higher than they'd care to fall.

The Lift and Tug hook-in check is part of the launch run. This way if you don't feel the happy tug at your crotch then you know to either abort the run or not even take that first step forward. So simple yet so sadly underutilized.
Bob Kuczewski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid-Feb Hook-In Failure Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm glad you're OK.

Frederick wrote:
physical hang check would have caught my error."

There are several hook-in failure modes. The various "solutions" are all vulnerable to at least one of them.

Any technique that convinces you that you're "covered" is creating a false sense of security.

Use as many as you can (aussie, hang check, hook in check, lift and tug...) but always be fearful that your best efforts might fail you. Then check one more time.

I'm really glad you're O.K. Freddy.
brianscharp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: FTHI Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"the gun is always loaded"

HOOK IN
https://vimeo.com/124963665
NME

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Watch and listen to this pilot on the ramp: https://youtu.be/sG6R5fG5Tzs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Safety and Incidents in flight All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: