Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index Sylmar Hang Gliding Association
Get High...Go Far...Tell Us About It

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sticky Fingers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve90266

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Sticky Fingers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was out last Sunday, flying around in some excellent spring air conditions. After about 45 minutes of flying I decided to head in. The usual pattern, etc, but on final I was higher than normal.

As I honked it in on my right down tube, my glove slipped off the aluminum tubing. I'm using some motocross gloves that have a smooth, pitted cloth across the palm and fingers. That's never happened before. Time lost, I immediately switched to both hands on the control bar and brought it in to my waist. I landed without incident.

I decided to look into this grip thing and think I've found a good solution. It's called TEGS. It's a gripping system that requires the TEGS product on both the gloves and the surface you need to grip. Kind of like mini-vlecro, with instant release. Or so they say.

I went here and purchased some tactical TEGs grip gloves and some tape to wrap on my down tubes and control bar. I realize this might add some parasitic drag, but I'd rather be safe and in control when I need it most. Check it out and I'll let folks know how it goes once I've got it in the air.

https://loftactical.com/shop/sentry-glove/
gregangsten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: glove grip Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been happily using Mad Grip gloves for flying. They are as sticky as you'll ever want and only around $10 a pair. Search for them at Home Depot (online) or Lowe's.
Steve90266

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Sticky Fingers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got the gloves and the tape. Tried them out and they work great. I just ordered more tape to put on the down tubes.

I had gloves from Home Depot that I used for years. They finally gave up the ghost, so I thought I'd try something more technical.

The only draw-back: The gloves act like velcro. So when I pull on my harness cords, the end piece doesn't want to let go of my glove. Kinda like trying to get rid of a sticky booger. Smile

The trades we make. Hoy.
gregangsten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Mad Grip Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only drawback I've found with the Mad Grip gloves is their durability. Not good, especially on your string-pulling hand, but still definitely worth it.
Malury

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always liked the cheap, rubberized gardening gloves from Home Depot. Barely warm enough and quite grippy. If you drop one in flight or you loaned them to Darryl, it's not a big loss. Easy to wash too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: