Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index Sylmar Hang Gliding Association
Get High...Go Far...Tell Us About It

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ord to Slash X Cafe 27 Miles the Hard Way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Flying Related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NME

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Ord to Slash X Cafe 27 Miles the Hard Way Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a BudRob style edit of Friday's flight in the desert....

Link

To make a long story short, our group of 3 PG + me (HG) got to launch an hour late while it was at the tail end of going off and blowing in. 2 PGs got off with one getting up but landing in Apple Valley, one in the LZ and the last little PG was too late to safely inflate. I launched into a parallel left cross from the SW sea breeze blowing through the pass which pretty well killed it and left me with scraps. I caught one climb near the tower which petered out then headed for the LZ which happens to be a good trigger. I drifted 3 miles in near zero-sink before I got far enough over the valley for the thermal to rise. I passed over the PG in the valley but didn't realize it on my way to 10K + spare change. Since I didn't have a vehicle under me I changed course from the sparsely populated path direct to the Black Mountain quarry and deviated to the mountain east of Apple Valley Airport. After much searching I connected there and headed over the quarry. I topped out back at 10K and went on the worst glide ever. Although my average L/D was 6.6 I had a tail wind the entire way to Slash X Cafe. I arrived with just enough altitude for a low save only to find even more sink all the way to the deck. The good news was that there weren't any dust devils to give me a repeat of Tuesday's near-carnage in Landers. The crew showed up soon afterward and we enjoyed the facilities at Slash X before heading back to the LZ. Our noble driver, Nico requested I edit the video to a special tune which graces the first half of the edit.
Hopefully, Beerless doesn't zone out while watching.
Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Flying Related All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: