Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index Sylmar Hang Gliding Association
Get High...Go Far...Tell Us About It

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New and Improved Winds of a Hurricane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregangsten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: New and Improved Winds of a Hurricane Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Years ago, early in my flying days, Grant Hoag put together annual flying trips to Hurricane UT. We had some great groups and great flying over spectacular places with some XC flights over a hundred miles. It's one of the best flying sites in the country and has remained one of my top places to fly.

At first we went over Memorial Day weekend but that time of year gave us some weather issues and limited flying. The date was moved to the July 4th weekend and the flying was terrific but the summer heat was pretty tough and some unpleasant camping experiences for some made the trip impossible for them.

That brings us to the new and improved part. Kathy Moacanin, someone always game for an expedition came up with this house near a little reservoir lake that is visible from the Hurricane ridge launch:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/sand-hollow-2.html?aid=336408;label=postbooking_confemail;sid=b8baf12af40398db7a3d7b407f15efb6;dest_id=20133327;dest_type=city;dist=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srepoch=1524502400;srfid=2b9fccd8775fe689a524cdee739bd890c0d28a33X1;srpvid=8d7b76bff76902c1;type=total;ucfs=1&#map_closed

Five bedrooms, though one is like a bunkhouse, air conditioning, a swimming pool, big kitchen, showers, ping pong and comfort. Hurricane without the dirty ordeal, or at least with the option of recovering from one. Take the spouse and spend an iffy flying day hiking in Zion or mountain biking on the mesas.

I bit the bullet and reserved the place for July 4-7, Wednesday arrival, Sunday departure. I have the option of cancelling for a refund through May, which I will do if we don't reach a quorum of around 10 people to make it affordable. The place can sleep up to 18 so the more the merrier and cheaper. We'll save the big bed bedrooms for the first couples who commit and give a little discount for the bunk beds in the 5th bedroom but we'll work out those details once we have an idea of the numbers. Cost I'm guessing should be somewhere around $55 to $85 per person per night, depending.

So act now, first come first served and you'll need to put some deposit money where your mouth is pretty soon or I'll dump this and just drag my little trailer out there with whatever die-hards want to come. Ask me any questions by email but post here if you are into it because you know pilots and their "Looks great, you go first." attitude.
gregangsten

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Hurricane Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Currently we have 9 definitelys and several maybes. I'll need a $100 deposit per person to make it real within the next couple weeks.

If other couples want to come there are other houses available nearby with multiple bedrooms.
gregangsten

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Hurricane Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

An easy and probably the best way to make your deposit is to use Paypal.
You can transfer $100 to secure your spot by sending it to me at gregangsten (at) gmail.com. This way we will both have a receipt for your payment.

I need to make a go, no-go decision sometime this month and if I don't get the deposits it will be a no-go.
gregangsten

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Paypal Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...one more thing. If you send me the deposit with Paypal, be sure to choose the friend or family option, not the payment for goods or services option, otherwise Paypal will take a cut.
gregangsten

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: New and Improved Winds of a Hurricane Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We are going, barring some kind of catastrophe. There is still room for a couple more people, H3 P3 and up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: