Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index Sylmar Hang Gliding Association
Get High...Go Far...Tell Us About It

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mosquito at el mirage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Flying Related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: mosquito at el mirage Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

good to get the cobwebs off this aircraft. a few short flights with a trip to the flying j ranch and back. as usual, el mirage is like a light switch. wind was completely off for all launches and landings until the last landing when there were lots of dust devils (in advance of a front). the landing went fine and juan helped me get the glider to our camp and broken down in all the gusty-ness. great trip, great company. el mirage is a special place.

http://youtu.be/Hoh9xxob978
OP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Next time you go land sailing, let me invite myself along. I want to "tack downwind."
nzlinus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OP wrote:
I want to "tack downwind."

jibe turkey.
OP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes you can tack down wind. Apparent wind my friend. I aint no jibe turkey.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_faster_than_the_wind
nzlinus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OP wrote:
Apparent wind my friend. I aint no jibe turkey.[/url]

But the apparent wind changes with change in heading, more so the faster you're travelling. So let's say you're on a broad reach 135 degrees off true wind, apparent wind 10 degrees off the bow... if you turn 10 degrees into the apparent wind, are you now heading directly into the apparent wind? I think not. Apparent wind will screw around with you until you cross true wind, and perform your tack. Unless you're in a huge sliding turn, which can't last for long.

Still a jibe turkey. Razz
OP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had trouble understanding the concept too. I'm a water sailor. Land sailing has a bunch of weird things happen going that fast. They tack down wind, or don't tack at all. The apparent wind can be any angle you want when you are going 4X the speed of the wind.

To further hurt your brain. This thing is directly down wind, faster than the wind : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcgmpBGSCI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Flying Related All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: