Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index Sylmar Hang Gliding Association
Get High...Go Far...Tell Us About It

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blowin' In The Wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Safety and Incidents in flight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greblo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Blowin' In The Wind Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was quite a few weeks this accident happened;and likely old news.

Short version:
I blew over on launch while hooked in.

Long version:
I wanted to feel wind on my face and bugs in my teeth before i left for a non flying vacation.
I was tired but took the opportunity to squeeze in a hot mid day launch flight.
The winds were as expected, a bit gusty and unsettled.Nothing to be concerned about.
I had very capable help from set up area to launch and on launch. I clearly cleared my helper then hesitated as the wind shifted quite cross from the west. I called back my help and at that point i had stepped back a few steps from launch and my helper had made it back to the tail of my glider and I felt he was fine there.Once stabilized and happy with the wind I turned my head over my right shoulder so i could be heard and once again cleared the help.I was looking behind me more when i should have looked in front. As i was walking and talking I believe i lifted the right wing a bit and stepping up to launch with the wind still a bit west. A bit of a gust came up for the perfect storm. I started to slide to the east side of launch and not able to get the rising wing back. The glider flipped over.It was like being on a carnival ride but not any fun.During the mayhem I broke my 4th metacarpal on my left hand.But even so i had only a little pain in my pinky .I disassembled the slightly scuffed glider my self and did about 3 hours of gardening afterwards, went home took a shower and washed my hair. My hand was swelling bit so took off my wedding ring and then noticed something in my hand felt funny.So off to Olive View hospital about 7:30 PM and then to finally return home about 3:30 AM with a huge splint.Now i have plenty of time to reflect on my focus.

Kris Greblo
Bob Kuczewski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the report. It's never fun to write those, but they serve as a good lesson to us all.

I'm glad you're (mostly) O.K. Smile
DrJeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the report, Kris. All of us need to be reminded because I bet all of us have done the same thing more than once. Hope you heal fully and fast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Safety and Incidents in flight All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: