Dockweiler Records: Joe Faust makes 60 flights

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Bob Kuczewski

Dockweiler Records: Joe Faust makes 60 flights

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Just yesterday Joe Faust made 60 flights at Dockweiler in his Wills Wing Alpha 210. Joe's near record day rivals Bob Bendetson's 66 flights.

Read more at the Friends of Dockweiler club forum:

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic. ... =80#p22269
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Frank Colver wrote:Today. May 28, 2018 Bob Kuczewski broke the site record at Dockweiler Beach CA by making over 100 flights in a single day and carrying his glider (Falcon 195) a total of 2500+ feet up the soft sandy 25 foot ridge. The previous record of 66 flights was held by Windsports instructor Bob Bendetson. Joe Faust had recently come close to that record with 60 flights in a day.
Read more at: http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2973

I've just heard from Frank Colver that the record of 102 flights set earlier this year has just been broken by the new Windsports owners.

Congratulations. Now we need separate divisions for amateur and professional. :)

In all seriousness, thanks to Andy and Josh for their efforts at promoting hang gliding at Dockweiler!!
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Joe Faust

126 Andy Beem and 201 Josh Laufer

Post by Joe Faust »

Data with counts, times, commentary
on the new world record at Dockweiler
HERE

Congratulations to Andy and Josh

Together: more than 327 takeoffs, 327 flights, 327 landings, 327 carrybacks upslope.
Many spectators saw some of the over 1,308 interesting HG actions at Dockweiler in one day.

The WHGA recognizes 201 as the count for Joshua's world record at Dockweiler.
Bob Kuczewski

Dockweiler Records: Bob Kuczewski makes 201 flights

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

https://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... =10#p29676
Joe Faust on Aug 18, 2018 (RHG Diary) wrote:.... from Josh
Hey Joe

I flew down the beach 200 times and carried the glider back up each time. Andy flew 125 times and carried up 125 times. We have a record of the exact time of each launch and even gopro footage of most of the flights.

Thanks,

Josh

Also from Josh via Joe - spreadsheet showing 200 flights:
JoshAndyDockweilerRecord.jpg
JoshAndyDockweilerRecord.jpg (207.11 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
New record of 201 flights set by Bob Kuczewski on June 21, 2021 - attested by Joe Faust:
Tally_Sheet_2021_06_21.jpg
Tally_Sheet_2021_06_21.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 6647 times
Read more at: https://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... =10#p29676

Josh ... are you up for ... 202? :lol:
joshlaufer

Bob ties record of 201 flights

Post by joshlaufer »

Congratulations Bob on reaching 201 flights in one day! It is a very difficult task indeed. I am never really on these forums so I just heard about this achievement recently.

I do believe we are actually tied for the record though. I had scratched one of my flights because I landed just short of the marker cones halfway down the beach we had set out as self-imposed parameters the day of. But Joe F wrote that the WHGA recognizes my record as 201 since it was still a successful flight and carry. Let me know if that has since changed.

I do plan on trying the record again though this Saturday, August 13th

Wish me luck!

Josh
joshlaufer

225 Flights! New Flight Record!!

Post by joshlaufer »

Joe Faust wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:38 am Data with counts, times, commentary
on the new world record at Dockweiler
HERE

Congratulations to Andy and Josh

Together: more than 327 takeoffs, 327 flights, 327 landings, 327 carrybacks upslope.
Many spectators saw some of the over 1,308 interesting HG actions at Dockweiler in one day.

The WHGA recognizes 201 as the count for Joshua's world record at Dockweiler.
New Flight Record! 225 Flights! Sunday August 13th, 2022

Well, it was an eventful/challenging day at Dockweiler State Beach. Sunny skies, 80-degree heat, winds SW-WSW 2-9 mph. Winds hung around 3-5 most of the day.

We showed up to the beach at 845am to find a massive line to the parking lot entrance. A Youth Soccer competition was being held at the base of the dune and the entire parking was nearly full by 10 am. There were numerous games being held simultaneously along the base of the dunes with lots of spectators covering the beach with shade structures and umbrellas. We were just able to slice out a landing zone for me in front of the main SW dune. Andy had to teach his class on the lower back hills closer to the highway.

I started flying at 9:30 am and flew and carried at a pace of about 25 trips per hour. Took a few breaks that added up to about an hour. The wind was only strong enough to float the glider on my shoulders on launch a handful of times. The wind was never strong enough to kite the glider up the hill, I had to carry the glider after every flight. I flew the Falcon 195 for a few flights in the morning then moved to the 170 for the rest of the day. I had to run hard or even sprint to launch most of the day. When the wind turned more westerly I had to fly through the rotor from the shade structures nearby and had to pause due to spectators crossing the lz. We had flags outlining the LZ but they were often ignored.

I ate a couple of massive sandwiches, a few bananas, some power bars and drank endless amounts of water and sports drinks. I could never quite get enough liquid into my body, we joked that I should fly with an IV... I would actually consider it. I was so drenched in sweat that it was hard to carry the glider up the hill due to slippage. Luckily I borrowed some gloves from one of our flight trackers Matt.

I finally finished at 7:36 pm flying into the sunset for the last few rounds. I was honored by the massive support I received the entire day. SHGA Pilots, Windsprts Crew/Students/Friends/Alumni, and even Jonny Durand from Moyes were in town and stayed till the end to cheer me on. Even though they had to fight for parking we had a great showing of friends to help set this record. I heard some others tried to come down but couldn't find anywhere to park, thank you so much for trying.

Huge Shoutout to my flight trackers for the day! Matt Barlow SHGA H2, Tori Pollock Windsports Driver, and Tim Tester SHGA H2. A big Thank You to Erika Klein for taking amazing pictures all day. Also want to thank the Windsports Friends and Crew for getting me anything I needed, water, food, or even a few semi-insulting jabs to get me going again. I could not have done it without you.

Post record recovery: On Sunday (8-14) I was so tired I was worried I may have gotten sick, and spent most of the day in bed. Luckily it was just thorough exhaustion. Today (Monday 8-15), feel better and went to see my Chiropractor, he was happy for my record but displeased with me about the strain it puts on my back. Going to spend a few hours in the hot tub tonight with a cold beer. The worst part is the gnarly blisters I grew on my big toes, they make it hard to walk.

Although it was an extremely difficult day and I came away battered, bruised, blistered, sore, and exhausted I would do it again. I may try to take it up a notch next summer near the solstice. I would start earlier and stay later, hopefully with more wind and less heat. I am confident I could hit 250 or even higher with the right conditions. :wink:
Attachments
299457973_495918772534013_4890899191404070445_n.jpg
299457973_495918772534013_4890899191404070445_n.jpg (359.64 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
299715497_495918775867346_549229699598809388_n.jpg
299715497_495918775867346_549229699598809388_n.jpg (365.81 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
_MG_0989-93.jpg
_MG_0989-93.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 6099 times
Josh Laufer
Windsports Hang Gliding
Co-Owner/CFO
831-246-1921
[email protected]
joshlaufer

225 Flights! New Flight Record!!

Post by joshlaufer »

Also please enjoy the final flight of the record. I literally threw the control bar down after successfully landing.
https://fb.watch/eWuu4q4Yw8/
Josh Laufer
Windsports Hang Gliding
Co-Owner/CFO
831-246-1921
[email protected]
Bob Kuczewski

Re: Dockweiler Records: Joe Faust makes 60 flights

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Good Job Josh!!

It looks like I have my work cut out for me. :D

https://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=30
Applause_225.png
Applause_225.png (255.45 KiB) Viewed 6058 times