New Terrain at Launch

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

beemer

New Terrain at Launch

Post by beemer »

We've made changes to the Kagel launch ramp, and although I feel that this will make ground handling in winds a little easier and a little safer, we can't be sure until we see a lot of launches in a variety of conditions.

We've brought in a couple dump truck loads of dirt to build up the area immediately left of where we stand to launch. This should allow us to create a new running path a few steps to the left of where we are now and give us a more constant and predictable slope under each wing.

My suggestion to pilots on their first flights up there is to find a comfortable launch spot where it's easy to keep the wings level during ground handling.

If you wish to use the traditional launch path, and have no trouble keeping your wings level while ground handling, feel free to do so. If you're not comfortable, consider watching a few other pilots launch first to make sure there are no hidden surprises.

I'll be interested to hear what you think about this change, and remember, we can always change it back it pilots don't like it. The main thing is to launch safely.

Thanks

Joe Greblo
JD

Post by JD »

Hi Joe,

Looks like Andy was logged in to the forum on your Mac when you posted. :lol:

Daryl, Chad and I all used the newly re-graded ramp from the usual spot with no issues. It was nice launching from a wide slope rather than a steep knob. Hope this helps.

Jonathan
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Any word on how the Launch and especially the LZ is holding up to the rains, and or mud slides?

Its certainly going to be green this spring
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

does this mean that it might actually stop raining?
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

When the oceans are dried up?

http://dpw.lacounty.gov/wrd/precip/
NEAR REAL-TIME PRECIPITATION MAP:

http://dpw.lacounty.gov/wrd/precip/aler ... t=72hr.cfm

It shows the Pacoima Dam received 5.28" of rain in the last 72 hours.

The forecast is 2 to 4 more inches by Wednesday for LA.
greblo

Post by greblo »

I've been out there the past 2 days, and so far so good. This morning was particularly interesting because the county scheduled a release of water from the dam. Fortunately it was small enough (100 CFS) for our berms to hold so the only damage so far is from street run off that can easily be repaired.

The next couple of days rain could saturate the mountains so much that we could have debris and mudflow that could again clog the river and send it careening through the H2 landing area.

Let's hope that it doesn't.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
JD

Post by JD »

greblo wrote:..........Let's hope that it doesn't.
Not like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7crFbkBpw#t=9m30s
greblo

Post by greblo »

Yes, as it turns out, even worse than that.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson