One way to lose a flying site...

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

stebbins

One way to lose a flying site...

Post by stebbins »

I found this on the OZ Report. It shows how one might go about annoying the locals over a seemingly small thing. Of course, it isn't a small thing, especially to the locals...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22571
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
OP

Post by OP »

A couple things about this:

1st: Our sport is a small world. Distribute this such that group who did this feels the guilt, and others who fly will want to represent the sport at all times. Our unusual activity attracts a lot of attention.

2nd: From the photos, it appears that they where flying from the sites near the houses closer to Plasket and the houses where the "bigsurKate" blogger lives.

We, the Kagel Crew, already avoid that area, and use the "wild cattle" site which is several miles away and uses a different route to the launch.

I hope this does'n hurt us as:
During our last trip to Big Sur some supernatural events occurred.
1. One day the dust devils where peeling of the launch. We blasted off to over a mile above launch. I ended up going way down the coast and back. EPIC. From Steve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER4f0ZNQqdo
2. Second day I had an Hour of soaring 500 feet above the launch.
3. We saw a spy satellite launch from Vandenberg.
4. BJ endured a epic journey to the site which... was... well... epic in another way.
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

A photo of a hang glider, an SUV with a ladder rack, plus a photo of some toilet paper and crap on the ground (I can't see the crap) constitutes proof that hang glider people put the crap there?

Sorry, folks. There has to be more to hook this crime to any particular person or group of persons. Case dismissed.

But I agree it's important that hang glider people, including drivers and wuffos not be perceived as inconsiderate pigs.

Some of us have made points with the forest service, US Wildlife Service and local nature groups by actually picking up trash that was not ours- - microtrash cleanups to help prevent death of condors.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
OP

Post by OP »

WingNutz wrote:A photo of a hang glider, an SUV with a ladder rack, plus a photo of some toilet paper and crap on the ground (I can't see the crap) constitutes proof that hang glider people put the crap there?

Sorry, folks. There has to be more to hook this crime to any particular person or group of persons. Case dismissed.

But I agree it's important that hang glider people, including drivers and wuffos not be perceived as inconsiderate pigs.

Some of us have made points with the forest service, US Wildlife Service and local nature groups by actually picking up trash that was not ours- - microtrash cleanups to help prevent death of condors.
True, Not enough evidence to prove the crime.

However, similar to many professions, our unusual activity must be conducted in a manner that is beyond reproach. That is we should't even allow suspicion of our wrong doing to be held by the public.

As an unusual activity, it is so easy for us to be banned. The law makers don't fly, they don't know anyone who does, we are rare. When in doubt just ban the activity. So we must, and mostly have been, go beyond and above the minimum requirement.

Think of dirt biking and snowmobiling. They both are notorious for leaving heaps of garbage everywhere they go. These activities are 1000X more popular than our sport. It is okay when they do it, as long as they buy gas, beer + state fees.

So if a rare sport causes problems and just gets in the way, why not prohibit it? Our reputation is critical! We need to publicize our microtrash clean-ups. Plus make sure our actions exceed what a prudent person would do. We are a small community so it should be easy to regulate our behavior.

.... I could be wrong about all this. Post your opinion.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

<i>" It is okay when they do it, as long as they buy gas, beer + state fees. "</i>

Solution: Buy more beer! Don't worry about where you will put it - we are here to help.
Flyyyyy