{wanted} Tricks and tips when thermaling with Jellyfish

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

OP

{wanted} Tricks and tips when thermaling with Jellyfish

Post by OP »

On Sunday, there was lots of lift everywhere; however my attempts to thermal with PG's in the kagel bowl made it seem that neither me nor the PG was properly coring the thermal in order to make room for each other. Is there as protocol for this, or should I just leave the Jellyfish alone.?
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

One tip:

You need to stay opposite each other. That means that the paraglider will be making smaller circles, and you will be making larger ones. But the time it takes to make one circle will be the same for both of you. (You fly faster at thermalling speed than he does.)

Of course, this only works if both of you do it... ;-)

BTW, a topless and a SS can fly dogether in exactly the same way.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

It depends on who you flying with. If PG doing a tight circles and you can stay opposite to him making wider circles (as George pointed out) then you both will climb efficiently. However if PG don't thermal very well and doing wide inefficient circles its better to leave him along. You don't need to left a thermal, you can try to out climb him (that what I would do) or re-enter thermal at lower altitude. I don't have any problems thermaling with HGs, so it can be done right.
Alex
skydizzy.blogspot.com
JD

Re: {wanted} Tricks and tips when thermaling with Jellyfish

Post by JD »

OP wrote:......my attempts to thermal with PG's in the kagel bowl made it seem that neither me nor the PG was properly coring the thermal in order to make room for each other. Is there as protocol for this....
Yes. The protocol is informally known as The International Rules of Thermalling Etiquette and the official FAI version is here on page 61: http://www.fai.org/hang_gliding/system/ ... PG2010.pdf or here on page 66: http://www.fai.org/hang_gliding/system/ ... PG2010.pdf
Same rules for PG & HG! Know these rules and print copies to give to pilots who fail to follow them.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Ever since I was a beach mite growing up in Florida my nana use to tell me, "booy, doan play wid da jelly fisss".
eat right, exercise, die anyway!