Parking Lot Paving Update

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

greblo

Parking Lot Paving Update

Post by greblo »

I've been trying for a couple of years to get our driveway and parking lot inexpensively resurfaced. The problemsome cracking began about 2 years ago and, without repair maintenance, rain, dirt, and seeds find their way into the cracks, expanding them and undermining them. Eventually, if not properly repaired, the blacktop will crack into pieces that cannot be repaired and the parking lot will need to be removed and rebuilt. All this at incredible expense.

The cheapest short term maintenance is called "slurry sealing" and starts at about 25 cents a square ft. We have around 35,000 square feet of driveway and parking area, so just slurry sealing alone would cost nearly $9,000.00.

Slurry sealing is not a permanent solution, but if performed every few years, it can keep a parking lot functional for many years.

Given enough deterioration, complete re-surfacing is necessary and that starts at about $1.25 per square foot (not including preparation). This would total over $40,000.00 plus the cost of removing the old asphalt.

Years and years ago, I was able to get the city of Los Angeles to donate all the asphalt needed to build the parking lot as it existed up until last week. More recent attempts for city assistance have met without success as the city has exclusive contracts with a couple of asphalt recycling companies that transport this material from street projects to their recycling centers to be sold at a profit.

Fortunately, help arrived at a very good time for us. About 10 days ago, one contractor that I know came through with an offer of 25,000 sq. ft. of asphalt as well as the labor and heavy equipment to spread and compact it. 2 days later, we dug up our old driveway entrance to prepare for the first loads of asphalt.

Since that time we've had more that 15 large dump trucks deposit ground asphalt chips on top of our parking lot with a paid employee from Loera Paving Company's grader, and the club's skiploader spreading the product into place. With the last of the available asphalt in place, we are now waiting for Loera Company to return and grade, smooth and roller compact the material into a smooth, flat parking area.

This final step was scheduled for yesterday, Monday, Dec. 12th., but had to be cancelled due to rain. I'm told that we'll try again next monday on the 19th.

We all owe Alex Loera of Loera Paving Company a great big thank you.

I appreciate the help and patience from everyone while we finish this important lz project.

All the best;
Joe
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks for the status report and all your hard work, Joe!

Nothing says "Thank You" to a contracting company better than word-of-mouth advertising. I see their Yelp profile has no ratings or remarks. http://www.yelp.com/biz/loera-paving-co ... os-angeles

I would NOT suggest telling the world how they gave of work for free but if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone who needs commercial paving work done.....
Busto

Post by Busto »

What does the last step consist of?
greblo

Post by greblo »

The last step in this particular process is a final grading and then "rolling" or "compacting". Hopefully this will be done Monday.

After that it's up to us to occasionally wet it down and baby it by driving smoothly and not turning our front wheels while parked.

If we don't add water occasionally, then it may not "harden" the way the old parking lot did. We have failed to water the area where I brought in asphalt chips a few months ago and it's not hardening properly. I was chastised for this by the asphalt guy last week.
Michael Robertson
Busto

Post by Busto »

Thanks!
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

greblo

Post by greblo »

Well, we finished the parking lot today. Graded, smoothed and compacted. At least as much of it as we could get material for.
It looks pretty darn good to me. Especially at less than the cost of a Tootsie-Roll.
Michael Robertson
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Nicely done Joe!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Yes, fantastic Joe!

Just in time, and you can't beat that price. We really appreciate your effort and forethought in getting this for us. Very nicely done.

Thanks.
Flyyyyy
Busto

Post by Busto »

Is it tight?
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

NMERider wrote:Thanks for the status report and all your hard work, Joe!

Nothing says "Thank You" to a contracting company better than word-of-mouth advertising. I see their Yelp profile has no ratings or remarks. http://www.yelp.com/biz/loera-paving-co ... os-angeles

I would NOT suggest telling the world how they gave of work for free but if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone who needs commercial paving work done.....
But we can all post a comment on there saying something like: "What a great bunch of guys, who do good work! Thanks Loera!"
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George