Hang gliding memories of 1990

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

ricklai

Hang gliding memories of 1990

Post by ricklai »

I was cleaning up my old VHS collection and came across some vintage tapes infested with mold. So with time on my hand, I've decided to convert them into digital files to salvage the memories of 1990. Surprisingly, the videos are still viewable, but going through the editing is really time consuming! The video footage is of my wife (Julie) practicing her launching and landing skills at the training hill of Simi Valley, Cali 20 years ago. She was about to graduate off the training hill and headed to Kagel Mtn . for high altitude flying. Andy Been was her training hill instructor at the time, and I just want to salute all the wonderful Windsports staff members who have helped me and my wife get through the training process with ease. Julie have lost interest in flying after receiving her Hang 2 rating, with more than 25 high altitude flights off of Kagel Mtn. She says that hang gliding is just too time consuming to commit and the busyness of life has kept her grounded. I will upload more footage to my youtube channel of her flying solo at Kagel Mountain later. Thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibSUWvDd2Gw

Rick
Don

Thanks for posting

Post by Don »

First, thanks for posting.

I did notice two things - one, the student pilot had their hands up high instead of lowering them or letting the downtubes slide up through the hands as the glider started to lift. Second, it looks like in at least some of the flights the student was landing down hill - if so, that must have been "fun" :? .

Again, thanks for taking the time to edit and post.
OP

Post by OP »

Someone posts 20 year old video of interesting historical interest relevant to our club's history.

Don critiques their technique.
Busto

Post by Busto »

That's funny!
Last edited by Busto on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
OP

Post by OP »

You no longer fly hang gliders?

Perhaps you'd like me to review your training videos and give you advice on how to improve?

ricklai

Post by ricklai »

Don,

Thanks for your comment. I think it was more like cross wind on some of the flights on that training hill video. Yes, you are right about her hand positioning being high in some point. According to my memory, all of us were taught flying in an upright position back then and had to arch our back the whole time. Especially during bunny hill training, the hand position was to always remain on the downtube. I remember that even during the first few solo high altitude flights,we had to stay upright during the whole flight. I think I started learning how to fly in the prone position on my second or third solo flight. Most of us had knee hanger harness for a while and flew without instruments until we got our hang 3 rating that we started to shop for pod harness and varios. Obviously, the teaching method is much different today.
Busto

Post by Busto »

She seems to have been doing well, she landed on her feet. The rest is practice, practice, practice.

I know plenty of people who have been flying for quite sometime that constantly pound in. She could come back into the sport and teach them a thing or two on running it out.
Last edited by Busto on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricklai

Post by ricklai »

This is another footage that I've completed edited today. The quality is a bit fuzzy, but it's the best that I can do. Sorry about that! This one is maybe my wife's 4th or 5th flight at Kagel Mtn. As you can see, her launch and landing is from two different days. Both flights were done with radio instruction given by Joe Greblo, as he waits and watches from the landing zone. Thanks again to Joe for helping my wife land safely.

http://youtu.be/jBepgN-zMss
Don

Come Visit!

Post by Don »

Rick,

You and your wife should come and visit sometime - maybe the Spring Air Festival - usually in April or May. You can then see me demonstrate how NOT to land. :?
ricklai

Re: Come Visit!

Post by ricklai »

Don wrote:Rick,

You and your wife should come and visit sometime - maybe the Spring Air Festival - usually in April or May. You can then see me demonstrate how NOT to land. :?
For most of you who don't know me, I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I took my first tandem lesson with Paul Thornbury around 1989, ground school with Joe G, and training hill with Andy Beem. I've flown 2-4x's per week (mostly weekday) between 1990 to 1995 because I live only 2 miles from Kagel LZ. During my training time, LA Dockweiler beach was shut down, so our primary training site was held in some remote area where no cars can access. It located right behind Northridge pass through North of 118 (I think somewhere in Chatsworth). I remember we have to put the glider on the bike trailer and walk to the training hill. I still remember those fox tails out in the field that constantly sticks to the inside of our shoe no matter how well you cover up..... Those things were so annoying! My wife hated that as much as the bruises she would get at the end of the day.

I went back to Hong Kong for work between 1995 to 2001 and than I don’t get to fly that much anymore due to my busy work hrs and family .........I'm currently reside in Northern Oregon. The flying community in Pacific Northwest is so small that can be difficult in finding someone who is committed in the hang gliding sport. Also the long driving distance to the flying site here in Oregon and Washington is another issue ,unlike Cali. I feel very fortunate to have met few fresh blood new pilots last year who loves flying and I'd join them whenever the weather permits. Just because the weather is cold and snowy, doesn't mean we can't go fly. The last time I flew at Kagel Mt. was in 2006 and I would like to take a trip down to Sylmar again hopefully sometime this year.
beemer

hang gliding memories from 1990

Post by beemer »

The video looks like it was filmed at the chatsworth training hill at the end of mason ave.Oh the memories!