Garlock on the 21st & 22nd of April

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Steve90266

Garlock on the 21st & 22nd of April

Post by Steve90266 »

There is talk of a trip to Garlock on the 21st and 22nd of April. Who's in?

Me and OP will be camping that Saturday night somewhere near launch or the LZ for anyone who wants to join us.

The goal would be Trona on Saturday for those who are cleared to fly it. Sunday is open for now.

Tentative affirmations in the positive have come from Adam, Malury, Mike Ivey (and his new Sport 2), Richard and Kat. Hope some more of you folks can join us. Should be a fun time and a real challenge!
Last edited by Steve90266 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Murillo
OP

Post by OP »

What?
OP

Post by OP »

I see three choices for the camping.

1. Red Rock Canyon SP campground. It has pit toilets and the what not.
2. Camp in the BLM land. We can play the didgeridoos like last time.
3. The Shaw's friend's ATV club is going to be somewhere out there. We could join them. They said there where going to be single blond triplets there.

Oh, you guys are going to Garlock in the spring? Is there room for me?
Malury

Post by Malury »

Single, blond triplettes? hmm...(m/f?)

Never the less, I do intend to go. Tokiko can't join us though. The heat gets to her.

I wonder if the plateau to the left of launch would be a good campsite? I never walked it but it looks flat and suitable. could be too windy.
Steve90266

Garlock

Post by Steve90266 »

I'm easy, whatever the majority wants to do. Red Rock Canyon State Recreation Area has it's merits-namely facilities and some cool rock formations. Plus, I've always wanted to check that place out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rock_C ... alifornia)

But there's a lot to be said for being able to play your didgeridoo unhindered. Winds on top would play a big part, but if the night is calm, the plateau would be great.
Steve Murillo
OP

Post by OP »

I like the idea of just me and Steve, alone, in the desert. Two men, and the chance to really get to know each other. Bromantic.

Just kidding.

I have a driver if needed. A vietnam vet who doesn't have enough to do. We will have to pay his way though.
Steve90266

Garlock

Post by Steve90266 »

Does this guy have flash backs? You remember we plan to take our side arms for some target practice.
Steve Murillo
OP

Post by OP »

Yes, he does have flashbacks. Also he is 100% color blind + a bunch of other problems.

However he is free if you pay his expenses.
Steve90266

Garlock

Post by Steve90266 »

If any of you folks are hesitant about joining us because there will be flying, cigar smoking, drinking, and the firing of guns, rest assured.

We will of course be drinking WELL BEFORE we venture near any sidearms. Eddie Eagle says "drinking and shooting guns don't mix!".

So fly with the eagles, and don't be a turkey.

Hope to see you there!

Steve Murillo
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

guns, flying, and drinking?

Count me in! (weather permitting.....)

Michael Lichterman

(also, i don't suppose i could......rent a vario from someone? ;) ill give it back with new batteries plus $20 if that sounds good!)
OP

Post by OP »

I have an extra vario.

Also, we need to start taking a head count and talking about schedules and vehicles.

Talking with Joe G. today; the place can be treacherous. Crazy wire snapping lift. Pounding sink. And don't for get 15 foot tall occitillo bushes. It's big desert flying very close to the Owens.

Those who have done more than just talk about it:
Steve M.
OP
The Shaw's. Richard + Kat
Adam
Kris Greblo (one day trip for her)
Will R. (driver, i'll help pay his expenses)
Dietch (thinkin about it, wanting to do a 50 mile trona run.)
Tom Casper (an experienced Trona run guy, 2 falcon trips. if he can find a dog sitter)
Mike L. (you can borrow a vario)
Lynn (he is a maybe. An H2 with out big desert air experience; needs instructor present)

Anyone else want in? Let's see if we can get enough peeps to buy out Greblo's ride and perhaps the man himself to get some H2 action.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

What would be departure time and return at SHGA ?

I assume there is a plethora of alternative LZs out there?
Flyyyyy
OP

Post by OP »

We are going to try a Friday night depart - Sunday evening return. Lots of LZs out there.
Steve90266

Garlock

Post by Steve90266 »

We are proposing an away team that heads out on Friday night and grabs camp space at Red Rock Canyon State Park (37749 Abbott Drive, East Kern, CA 93504). It's just off the 14 Fwy.

For the Away Team, the proposed meet is Friday, 6PM at the LZ but we may need to adjust that, depending on my wife. She may have to work, in which case, OP and Mike head out early, I pick up their gliders in the LZ later and meet you guys around 11:30 PM. On the Away Team shortlist are:
1. Steve & Pat Murillo
2. OP
3. Mike Ivey

Anyone else that wants to join us is welcome. Holler out.

Saturday morning the bulk of folks will meet at the Kagel LZ in the early morning. I propose a 6:30 AM show for a 7AM go. The idea is to get to Garlock, get up to launch, set up and be running off the top by 12 PM. For those of you later risers, EVA at the risk of feeling all alone up there in the wild blue. It will be much easier to make goal (Trona Airport) if we all work the sky together.

Note for high hour H-2s & 3s: if Joe agrees to go, this would be an outstanding chance for you to get signed off. Ask Joe if you qualify. If you fall into this category and Joe cannot go, then it's a NO GO for you as well. Sorry.

Camping Saturday night will be either at Red Rock, out at the old Garlock runway, or both.

What to bring on the flight:
1. The usual hang gliding stuff
2. Ski jacket, parka or the like. Expect high altitude flight
3. Warm gloves, bar mits or both
4. Survival knife, water, matches, whistle, minor first aid kit for cuts and abrasions. Anything serious will have to be handled by the road crew.

Bail Outs: if you find yourself sinking out, no problem. There will be plenty of opportunity to set up a good landing next to the main road. Just watch out for the cactus and bushes. From the air they look small and harmless. When you're on final, not so much.

Points of Interest:
Red Rock Canyon Camp: 35 21' 53"N, 117 58' 58"W
Garlock LZ: 35 23' 06"N, 117 50' 15"W
Garlock Launch: 35 25' 07.18"N, 117 51' 03.35"W
Trona Airport: 35 48' 46.34"N, 117 19' 37.56"W

That's it for now. let me know if you have questions.

Steve
Steve Murillo
OP

Post by OP »

The forecast right now looks like a classic Garlock to Trona spring flight.

Saturday: Light S winds, climbs above 10k.

Sunday: stronger winds, but blowing in the right direction. From the SW.
Steve90266

Garlock

Post by Steve90266 »

Skills!
Steve Murillo
MikeI

Post by MikeI »

I'm definitely in. Right now I'm planning on heading up Friday night, but that may change to Saturday morning.

If anyone has a spare GPS that I could borrow while flying, it would be appreciated.

Looking forward to it.

Mike
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

Looks like I'm in. I'll probably drive out Saturday morning and stay through Sunday.
Tom
OP

Post by OP »

Whereas the time from the Sylmar LZ to the Garlock LZ is only 2 hours. And the Red Rock campground doesn't have holding nor reservations. And how the BLM is expansive and nearby. Unlike rolling to Owens to get an early chance at Walt's, A friday night departure is unnecessary.

I say we all do an early Saturday go.
http://g.co/maps/5czkc

Good news. The conditions are looking good. Best and most important are the light winds in the correct direction. Less reliable and important, (however nice) is the Dr. Jack highest usable lift forecast to 15k. Bring warm gear.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Sounds epic -- but as a H-3 -- Any word on if Joe Greblo will be going?