Radio in the Gazebo?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Should we have a permanent radio in the Gazebo?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Yes
83%
No
11%
Only if Greg pays for it all.
6%

Total votes: 18

Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

OP wrote:After research:

USHPA has many paid freqs bought from the FCC. We can use them.

Ham Nazis are weird awful folks; let's invalidate their claims. With a paid freq their arguments are m00t.

A radio locked on their freq in the gazebo is cool.

Individuals using the freq is cool, using a free-banded radio illegally is still illegal.

Example: A local golf course has a paid freq, their 8$/hr workers all use the freq. No license needed.
Awesome, thanks for the research! Now the monument task of changing club frequencies looms before us. It might be a long bloody battle, but once the dust settles I am confident that common sense will prevail. 8)
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Before any frequency changes are made by the masses, someone should be monitoring that frequency over a period of time to be sure it is not busy with other traffic. If someone can do this, please report your findings and them maybe a few pilots will try it out.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

The 3 USHGA frequencies are in the business band. As such, they are shared with other business users. The last time I tried to use them in Los Angeles, I heard all kinds of stuff about hotels, drivers, deliveries etc.. Of course, that may have been a busy day. Out in the boonies, it's useful. In LA, maybe, not so much. But as I said, that day may have been an extra busy one.

Also, I believe that you need a USHPA radio signoff to use their radio frequency. The employees of the businesses using this band are given permission to use their frequency by their employer. The USHPA gives permission via the radio sign-off. On the other hand, when I got the signoff, years ago, the process was trivial.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. It has been a while since I paid any attention to radio rules, other than to use my call sign appropriately, not use profanity, etc.

Yes, Jonathan, I do use my call sign at least every 10 minutes.. If you use it with each transmission or two, the problem goes away.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

If USHPA has paid frequencies then why are they letting just anyone use them, $$$? Anyways, regardless of which frequencies we'll wind up using (probably what we use now) the radio project is moving forward and will be implemented in a manner that will make just about everyone happy. :D
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn