Grebloville 2013

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

barton

Grebloville 2013

Post by barton »

edited 6.20.2018
Last edited by barton on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
OP

Post by OP »

Busto

Post by Busto »

Barton for Prez...

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.
-Robert Heinlein
Jim

SAVE YOUR CLUB...EVERYONE SAYS IT'S DYING

Post by Jim »

Let’s be honest here amongst ourselves, the SHGA is not the organization that you should be proud to be part of. Look at the 2012 BOD's, as I count it there are three BOD members that work for The Windsports Corporation, directly or indirectly they receive monetary rewards from The Windsports Corporation. This is called a conflict of interest, though it’s not the first time, in 2010 there was a family member of Greblo who was on the BOD's and others before that. Along with having family members or employees on the BOD's there is the use of the Windsports house for club business, another source of conflict of interest. There is a pattern in the details.

The spirit of what once was a great group of people is no longer, the SHGA has been twisted, malnourished and subverted. Driven by an energy that would only accept its "vision" of what the SHGA should be, with disregard for the collective desires of the membership.
- Barton

What Barton is trying to say is that all interested members should nominate themselves and bring to the board that united, collective conscience he knows goes unrepresented. Your vote can accomplish this.

It's high time to permanently reject the Greblo puppets, meek and spineless shadows such as, Rob Burgis (Oh, wait, this kind of bullshit has already chased him) Mike Knapp, Phill Bloom, Greg Angsten, Ken Andrews (sorry, already chased, too) Larry Chamblee (nope, gone, too) Mike Moacanin (RIP from the board) Katherine Yardly and Dan Barley (shameless Greblo lovers) the always easy to control Lynn McLaughlin and all the obsequious former BODs . Break that majority Windsports voting bloc: silence the outspoken Ballard (Machiavelli, in disguise), the easy to buy-off Cyndia and her mini-me, Erica. Yeah, that'll show Greblo; take back Barton's club for him, bring down the Czar...

Wait! Shortcut! Nominate Barton, Busto, Rafferty and any other anti-Greblo-semites (who should identify themselves openly to garner the necessary support) and vote them in. They can put this shambles of an organization right. Hurry! Before the pulse is lost completely. Let the honesty begin!
Busto

Post by Busto »

I'm for the Gazebo.

Please find anything that says I did not want the Gazebo.

I was against the money our club lost, and with Pi-Hsuan we looked into ways to prevent our club from falling into the same situation.

The report that we presented to the board took four months, and was recorded.

There is no he said she said.

I can tell you that there was much good that went into it, but unfortunately, there was plenty that was found.

The one area that will benefit from the report is the bathrooms.

If you'd like I could talk about a few issues that were uncovered concerning the gazebo.
Busto

Post by Busto »

One more thing.

Rob and the rest of the board gutted it out during the four months the report was gone over, and that says a lot on their integrity.

We've had three months of meetings since the report was concluded, and I can tell you that there has been a change in the way they think when approaching a project.

Rob introduced three bids for a project in the making. They were shared at the last board meeting and a direction has been chosen.

Right on Rob, and the rest of the board members.

Keep up the sarcasm, but for those who have never met Rafferty, or Barton, their numbers are in the directory.

Both are compelling and deserve the time to be heard.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

OP you should have enough material now for a Hitler mini series! Joe can be Hitler this time. Can I play Himmler? Busto you can be Eva Braun.

Don't forget if it was not for people like Greblo and the members who step up and walk the walk there would be no EL Barrio.
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Nominations are open

Post by Ken Andrews »

The SHGA's board of directors is chosen democratically, and nominations are currently open for the 2013 board. Board members aren't special; they are simply club members who care enough back up their talk with work. Some conflict of interest is pretty much inevitable in a small club, especially when a small number of members do most of the work. If you would like to see changes in the SHGA, or if you think you have less conflict of interest than other board nominees, then this would be an excellent time to get involved. People may nominate themselves. Please send any nominations to Cyndia as secretary, or to me as a general helper behind the scenes.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

Hey Barton,
I hope you still fly--somewhere, somehow! It's so lovely to leave all the petty bullshit behind, take a step back, and let your spirit soar...We are ALL united by these invisible wings we have scratching at our shoulder blades.

People miss you! You have a lot of mutual history and fantastic shared memories with SO MANY MEMBERS of this club!

I'm really sorry, but I can't take the whole political rant seriously. Some of the greatest, best, and truest friends I've had are in this club--and on the Board. I don't care what their politics are, I know, and love their souls.

Seriously.
Be well,
Get your wings on!
All the best,
Janyce
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

jcflies wrote
JCflies wrote We are ALL united by these invisible wings we have scratching at our shoulder blades.
Very nice!
OP

Post by OP »

skygeek AKA Seabass wrote:OP you should have enough material now for a Hitler mini series! Joe can be Hitler this time. Can I play Himmler? Busto you can be Eva Braun.

Don't forget if it was not for people like Greblo and the members who step up and walk the walk there would be no EL Barrio.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/F85R-Q58z-Y[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85R-Q58z-Y[/youtube]
Busto

Post by Busto »

Last edited by Busto on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OP

Post by OP »

Last edited by OP on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I've heard it referred to as the "Fish Bowl"
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

So Windsports is the puppetmaster? Really? I had no idea!
While I was grounded I followed the gazebo threads casually, made my head spin. Seems like there are unanswered questions still, but I have no interest, whatever happened is over and should not be a factor here.
For once I would like to see one of these threads where sides accuse each other actually result in anything productive, other than a circle jerk that just fizzes out at the end.
You guys need to campaign! Debate each other (not on the forum)!
Because unless we all know what the real issues are how can we vote? :o
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

On the subject of the Pavilion cost overrun I think we need a few more items of information to make an exact unemotional assessment.

What is the actual amount spent?
What is its appraised value? i.e. quote from a large builder to exactly replace the structure.
What is the value and hours of volunteer work?
How full is it and how long to break even at current level and at filled capacity.

With this information we can compare with competing investments like CD's or money market over time.

On the subject of conflict of interest:
The Defense industry is held to a much higher level than regular businesses. The interests mostly run parallel and in the same direction of hang gliding. I prefer to use the word "Synergy"

Wikipedia definition:
Synergy is two or more things functioning together to produce a result not independently obtainable. The term synergy comes from the Greek word synergia συνεργία from synergos, συνεργός, meaning "working together".

What is the status of the rest room?
phkao

Post by phkao »

Mike,

Windsports is not the puppet master because I don’t consider our club members a bunch of puppets. However, our club members are ill informed on a lot of club issues, most of the time by their own choices.

I started my involvement with the Gazebo project in July 2011. I presented four reports related to the Gazebo project in the SHGA’s monthly Board meetings, the last one being in July 2012. As much as some members liked to express their opinions on the Forum about the Gazebo project, one would think that they would be curious about what I had to say in my presentations. The fact is quite opposite.

I agree that the Gazebo project is over and I am not going to repeat what I have presented to the Board on the Forum again. The Board has started taking a different approach towards the future projects and therefore, the purpose of my reports has been accomplished. For those who missed my presentations, all of the reports were documented in the meeting minutes and are available to all members on the SHGA website. If you are interested, please go through them and I will be happy to discuss or answer questions in person.

Doug,

I have asked you to attend the Board meetings before, and I will ask you again.

Some of the questions you asked have been discussed in the past and some are getting monthly updates in the Board meetings. Please come and you will have the answers.

On the subject of conflict of interest:

The definition of “Synergy� did not rule out the possibility of the existence of a conflict of interest in the process.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Puppets? You've got to be kidding. The single underlying personality trait of the vast majority of hang glider pilots is the unalterable conviction that we are right and everyone else is wrong. Otherwise, we'd listen to our families, co-workers, friends, the public and the media and stop flying those death-traps, as any "sensible" person would do.

As a group, we are some of the most stubborn, opinionated, arrogant people I've ever met.* And I love it. Mostly. Usually. Except when I don't. ;-)

We may be many things, but puppets is hardly the right description.

* Do I include myself? You damned betcha!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Doug,

Pi-Hsuan is correct in that a lot of your questions have been addressed at the meetings. But you don't have to attend to read what is discussed there. Just go to the "members only" section of our website and you find that you can download the meeting minutes by month. There is usually a one month delay before they are posted but you can read for years back.

There is plenty of club information to be learned from reading the meeting minutes for anyone who cares to be informed.

Rob
OP

Post by OP »

dhmartens wrote: How full is it and how long to break even at current level and at filled capacity.

With this information we can compare with competing investments like CD's or money market over time.
In engineering, finance, business; we call this "net present value."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_present_value

It works great for deciding when to spend money on more efficient machines/cars/airplanes. It ends up in engineering that most everything is possible. However when considering economic constraints only a few are viable. I end up calculating money much more often than calculating stress/strain on things i design.

However it doesn't make sense when dealing with intangibles. What is the net present value of my glider at a 11% discount rate? Fuck if I could know. My enjoyment of flight can't really be put on a scale of utility. At some times i'd sell my first born for a sledder, while some times I land early to drink an aged bud light.

How much is the value of a permitted structure to our presence in the community? I can't answer this.

I will give your good points.: What would an independent contractor bid on this? Would be nice to know when moving forward.