Avenue S on Saturday?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

remmoore

Avenue S on Saturday?

Post by remmoore »

I'm going to be in the Palmdale area Saturday morning. Forecasts currently look decent for Ave S. While I've flown there a few times before, I don't want to fly alone. I've got a good 4-door 4WD truck with a big padded rack, so we can take my rig up. Also, I'm happy to pay my share for a driver, or help pull a retreive.

I'll bring my wing if I get a response. Anyone planning on flying there Saturday?

RM
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

I was hoping for L myself......of course that is dependent on someone with access being there. (ive only flown L not S, and have no way to transport my glider......yes, I'm very useful :lol:

Michael L
JD

Post by JD »

I plan on coming out. The NWS forecast looks good and so does the NAM.
Any other air-horny pilots interested?
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I tentatively plan on being there. (L if weather and access permit, S if not.) I think Jim Mercadante will be there also.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

I'm interested, but don't have a rack. If someone can provide transport from the LZ I'll happily chip in for my share.
remmoore

Post by remmoore »

stebbins wrote:I tentatively plan on being there. (L if weather and access permit, S if not.) I think Jim Mercadante will be there also.
I've not been to L, but from what I've read it's really only preferable if S is blown out? It also sounds like L is a much more involved drive-up or retrieval?

My few flights at S have all been fun soaring, but I would be OK with L if that's the consensus.

RM
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

I keep hearing about Ave L, yet no one seems to have flown there in recent times. I hope it's a real place because from what I have heard it's tons of fun (or at least more so than Ave S.). :o
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

I flew L with a few others a couple months back, but have never flown S. We didn't fly S as there were helicopters in the area doing work on electric lines or some similar. Just from looking at the site i would argue L has a lot more potential -- you can ridge soar down a pretty extensive ridge, whereas S gives you......not as much room.

The drive up isn't really too ridiculous, you just have to get up the hill. The up the hill is something I would not do in the absence of a good 4WD truck though. Pretty steep, kinda reminded me of garlock at times. But the launch isn't all that high.....maybe 4-500 AGL (LZ?). Not really sure but it isn't too high, the ridge is up behind you when you launch, you simply gotta ridge soar up to get back there.

Just for comparison .......take a look on google maps: ave S (at least it is in the vicinity of this spot: )
34.536682, -118.159847 LZ I recall being the big burnt spot to the north

Ave L: Launch is at 34.642759,-118.288379 and you can go up and down that ridgeline

LZ is basically anywhere but theres a nice uphill spot at 34.651263,-118.290036 as well as between those two roads about 50 feet south of there.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

forums wont let me edit.....

there are some technicalities on access but Illl leave that to someone else or PM for details....
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Will anyone be going to Ave S/L tomorrow from the LZ? There's a couple of us who would like to join.

Mike
remmoore

Post by remmoore »

I will be meeting Mike and Co. at the Ave S LZ around 11:30.

RM
PilotGuy

Post by PilotGuy »

Conditions looked great on Friday and Saturday but I was unable to get out. Come someone fill us in with a flight report? :D
remmoore

Post by remmoore »

I woke up yesterday morning with the flu. Instead of flying Ave S, I got to drive 6 hour home feeling like cr@p!

Still feeling really bad today, but the masochist in me also wants to know how the flying was...

RM
JD

Post by JD »

PilotGuy wrote:Conditions looked great on Friday and Saturday but I was unable to get out. Come someone fill us in with a flight report? :D
I recall Spitfire saying it was a 5K day with strong winds and 90-minute flight. Or something to that effect. And here's what you missed at Elsinore...
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

I'd say we had a better day than Elsinore 8)

Our numbers decimated by illness (RM, JD and Marshall were sick), Raffi and I nevertheless headed to Ave S, determined to get some air time. We were joined by Ron (a returning pilot who is back to the sport) and headed up to launch together. Winds were 15-20 out of NE, and Raffi launched just before 2pm then me. Unfortunately Ron popped his knee helping Raffi launch so he was unable to fly.

Just before I launched George and his wife arrived, and after that a couple of Tehachapi pilots who all joined us in the air. The winds switched to E with a hint of N, so we all migrated to the eastern side of the potato (?) and east beyond that, which is where the lift was.

It was a good day for me to test out my ultrasport (my 2nd flight in it), and get dialed in to how it flies and using VG.

Climbs to about 5k and flight times of up to 2 hours. All in all a good day. I hope everyone going out today gets just as good conditions.

Mike