Owens This Weekend?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

WingNutz

Owens This Weekend?

Post by WingNutz »

Mingus trip changed to Owens Trip?

Greg Angsten can't get out of town on Friday, and proposes we take a trip to the Owens instead of driving six hours to Arizona. I can take my Suburban. I propose flying Saturday, Sunday and Monday - - driving back Monday p.m.

Who's in?

Who can recruit a driver?

Do you want to camp or stay in Motels (availability is tight Memorial Day weekend) I have reserved two rooms at the Dow Villa in the old hotel ( no bathrooms in the room - go down the hall) Each room ($66)has two single beds. Some can camp at either Tuttle Creek or at Portagee Joe Campground, the campground in town.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
chadness

Post by chadness »

Hey Larry,

Andrea and I are up for the trip, but don't want to camp this time, so looking to grap one of your Dow Villa room reservations. Is one still available?

Cheers,
Chad
OP

Post by OP »

Nurit + Andrea for the win!

Forecast says flyable, light southerly winds: Also 700 mules will be participating in 180 events.
http://www.muledays.org/
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

An Owens Valley plan

Post by Ken Andrews »

After much debate, Lisa Wendt and I finally have a plan. Will Ramsey and Kia Ravanfar might join us for a day or two, still TBD.

Lisa and I will converge on the Sylmar LZ around 4 or 5 PM on Friday afternoon, depending a little on our work obligations that day. We'll pick up gliders (she has her trusty Falcon, and I'll probably take my U2), drive north, and arrive in Lone Pine around 9 PM, depending on traffic. Since most of the Sylmar crowd seems to be centered around the Dow Villa motel, she and I now have a couple rooms reserved there as well.

Weather permitting, we arrange drivers on Saturday morning, and fly the Owens on Saturday and Sunday. Lisa's probably a driver, but my hope is that she'll find a launch, glide, and LZ that aren't too intimidating for a little Falcon, and will choose to fly at least one day. If the weather doesn't cooperate, then there are plenty of alternatives: Mule Days in Bishop, hot springs, a possible visit to the "Big Ears" radio telescopes on the White Mountains, bristlecone pine forests, Devil's Postpile way up past Mammoth, and who knows what all.

If everyone's generally headed home on Monday, we might detour via Crestline on the way back, and fly there on Monday afternoon. For that matter, Garlock is also very much on the way home, but it's unlikely we'll end up there unless there's a compelling reason to do so.
OP

Post by OP »

Soaring Predictor.... Saturday, Walts, Climbs to 19K. Light southerly through the valley. Window from 9am to 8pm.

http://www.soaringpredictor.info/E-Sierra/Walts.htm
r8pistol

Post by r8pistol »

anyone planning on going early sat am? I can't do fri-mon, but was thinking it might be fun to drive up way early sat morning, fly all day, spend the night and then fly sunday and drive home sunday night. I've never been so I'd prefer to go with someone or a group that knows the lay of the land and has experience with the particular launch/landing sites to be flown.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Any chance theres still room in a room? I could drive for Walt's and Mayne get tossed off Flynn later.

Diaabetic Mike
vannoppen

owens

Post by vannoppen »

sounds like a yummy forecast. Wish I could go. I would like to plan a similar trip for the weekend of 6/8,9. Any interest. I got the vehicle but need a driver as Im on a restricted license right now in addition to finding a non flying driver. Im open to going somewhere else with the potential of big air
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

I've got room in my Suburban if anyone needs a way up to Lone Pine. Opie - how are you getting there?

Larry Chamblee
chadness

Post by chadness »

arggg. Posts of forecasts with light winds and climbs to 19k'! And I just took my temperature of 101 degrees. Feeling really sick. I don't think I can be ready to go on a trip in a couple of days.

I signed up for one of Larry Dow Villa reservations. Larry doesn't need it. Unless someone gives me a call and wants to take it, I am gonna call the Dow Villa and see if they will cancel it.

So please call me ASAP 858-414-3138 if you want the reservation!
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Now that I'm not posting from a cellphone....

I'd be down to go and could probably drive; sounds like I am in a similar situation as Lisa wendt. Having never flown the owens before I'd probably rather pass on walts but if I could fly a slightly more friendly launch (I hear good things about flynns) perhaps that could be good.

If anyone wants to split a room at the villa (or let me sleep on the floor......) i'd be down for that. Would rather not pay 66/night just to drive. I could also camp i suppose.

Diabetic Mike
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

Mike L.

I have room in my car and maybe a spare bed in my room. We seem to be flush with drivers, so bring a glider and we'll throw you off somewhere. Flynn's, near Bishop is great for an evening glass-off flight.

I'd love to leave early tomorrow afternoon, if you can swing it.

Call me at 213 280 5902

Larry Chamblee

Larry Chamblee
OP

Post by OP »

Chamble, save me a spot in the 'burban. Just let me know when to be in the Sylmar LZ. I'm going to be ready to sleep outside.

Mike, bring a glider fo sho. If you do a morning sledder, you've got a bunch of good options we can walk and put up streamers.

Glass factory: http://goo.gl/maps/VhqZ0
Meadow south of Diaz: http://goo.gl/maps/ucEFT
Lone Pine airport is a good place to land: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... B2M#t=423s
AlC

Windgrams

Post by AlC »

I always recommend the Windgrams or RASP model over the basic Soaring Predictor data. Windgrams are here: http://www.soaringpredictor.info/windgr ... ain_es.htm

RASP here: http://www.soaringpredictor.info/raspta ... table.html (pick "Entire Area").

Fly safe!

- Alan
hgflyboy

Post by hgflyboy »

Birdies,

Since he's locked out of his account, Larry asked me to post this: Those riding with him in the Great White Suburban, we will meet in the LZ tomorrow and depart at 1PM. Be there or be square.

Will
gregangsten

Owens trip

Post by gregangsten »

I'll be at the LZ later, probably around 6 with room for one and can carry gliders.
Who is planning on camping at Tuttle Creek... besides me?
OP

Post by OP »

I'm rolling with chambizle.

I like starlight. I want to sleep outside under the firmament. I can help offset the dower's costs for a shower and swim. Tuttle creek is cool because of its tuttleness and creekyness. Lone Pine camp ground is preferred. Portagee Joe is to be avoided. Yellow sodium lamps from town dampens starlight. That photon shouldn't have traveled 4,000 light years to fall upon my retina and not be noticed. Portagge's, creepy, computer controlled, fake stream bled from the aqueduct is not as cool as the real deal found a tad farther up the hill.
gregangsten

LP campground

Post by gregangsten »

LP campground farther up the Whitney Portal road is nice and preferred, but it's full. So are you getting a spot for us at Tuttle?
OP

Post by OP »

Good trip.

Tons of folks from all over. Lone Pine was crawling with gliders on racks. Never seen 30+ gliders on Walt's before.

Highlights:
MikeL makes maiden Owens/Walt's flight.
PG deployed reserve about 200agl into the worst of the nasty horseshoe meadow road canyon. Not a scratch on'em. Read about it on the Crestline forum tomorrow.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Great trip! Also launched black eagle. Good stuff.

Diabetic Mike