Apparently we will be botted to death here without PHPBB3

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

OP

Apparently we will be botted to death here without PHPBB3

Post by OP »

These bots crawl, find and post these ads. Nothing but manual intervention to stop them. PHPBB3 appears to have auto updates for bots. It also has a tutorial for their automated upgrade option.

http://shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4657

http://shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4656

http://shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4655
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

They aren't that unlike you cheering people on, on launch! (HA!)
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Jim

Post by Jim »

So, does that mean you're going to manually (and automatically) intervene to stop Opie's behavior? Janyce, the PHPBB3 for launch ramp commentators! I like it! When can I expect this upgrade to be installed?
OP

Post by OP »

it brings over all our user names and posts.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Opie, do you have the time to do this and follow up all the related issues that might be generated? I know Ken and Chip have their own priorities and limited time. If you wish to make a commitment, a request can be made to the BOD to allow you the keys to the castle.
Mike M
Site Admin

Post by Mike M »

The conversion is not that difficult. Chip has a working prototype of the forum in the new format. The issue is all the custom software written behind scenes that is in a format not supported by the new forum PHPBB3.

All of the custom software needs to be re-written. That is a non-trivial task. Also, that database needs to be migrated from Microsoft Access to SQL. Another non-trivial although doable task.

Bottom line, it can be done, but there will be hiccups, problems, etc. All of that will need to be supported by people who have real jobs and not huge amounts of time to support this.

Ultimately this needs to be done as the current forum is insecure and, as we have seen, can be hijacked by nefarious parties. We were just lucky it was a Chinese group selling counterfeit Rolex watches etc. last time. It could be something darker next time.
nzlinus

Post by nzlinus »

If we could get the keys to the prototype castle, I'm sure there are a few of us that would be willing to contribute code, test, etc...

It would probably be good to spend a couple hours with Chip to get the current lay of the land, itemize the issues that need to be resolved, make a plan, etc., in order to get the new version functional before switching it out.

Lin.
OP

Post by OP »

Jim wrote:Opie, do you have the time to ...
Can't someone just complain and heckle from the distance without being asked to actually do something about the issue?
JD

Post by JD »

Does 'bot'ulism grow Spam?
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

nzlinus wrote:If we could get the keys to the prototype castle, I'm sure there are a few of us that would be willing to contribute code, test, etc...

It would probably be good to spend a couple hours with Chip to get the current lay of the land, itemize the issues that need to be resolved, make a plan, etc., in order to get the new version functional before switching it out.

Lin.
I'd be prepared to help out I agree that a good first step would be to form a list of what still needs to be implemented or fixed in the new version.
Jim

Post by Jim »

OP wrote:
Jim wrote:Opie, do you have the time to ...
Can't someone just complain and heckle from the distance without being asked to actually do something about the issue?
Opie, a simple, easy to understand answer: NO! PUOSU!

And Jonathan: No, but SPAM could grow Clostridium botulinum which creates the protein neurotoxin all Hollywood knows and loves.
OP

Post by OP »

From my brief reading... Apparently the most common problem when upgrading is the search function. We don't use the search feature. We, here at the shga, know how to use google search syntax.

On that point. We should stop the google from crawling our forum. We are basically waiting for bots to download our data, and someone suing the club over the forum. The guy who runs the ozreport.com has some weird stories about running a PHPBB forum.

here is a fun gif/video for reading this post

http://i.imgur.com/BqoxsAa.webm

edit: Bots rarely occur and are quickly removed. Transition to V.3 is easy. And I have some crows feet some botox can handle.
gregangsten

And another thing...

Post by gregangsten »

Anyone else finding it impossible to edit a post?
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

OP wrote:On that point. We should stop the google from crawling our forum. We are basically waiting for bots to download our data, and someone suing the club over the forum.
It looks like we don't have a robots.txt file on shga.com... that would take care of any issues with google if people agree this is a problem.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 2608?hl=en
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I'm more of an application guy than a web guy, but I'd be willing to pitch in to get the custom software rewritten. What language is it in? PHP? Javascript? ???
Jim

Re: And another thing...

Post by Jim »

gregangsten wrote:Anyone else finding it impossible to edit a post?
I didn't find editing impossible but I did notice that deleting a post appears to remove the entire thread for a time. When the deletion is confirmed, an error message is returned. Another user told me that it lasts about four hours before it returns to normal - sort of. I noticed that the original post had the 1969 dating. I don't remember the reasoning.

And now that we have a few volunteers to help, should a meeting be scheduled? I'm not familiar with everyone's whereabouts but my home is available, if it isn't too distant for everyone. I'm 5 minutes from the LZ. Opie, you can come, too.
OP

Post by OP »

mrobin604 wrote: What language is it in? PHP? Javascript? ???
It's written in objective fortran sharp. Certainly PHPBB is not written in PHP.