Donations

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Jim

Donations

Post by Jim »

Every pilot interested in USHPA's fundraising to establish the RRG should visit the organization's site and seek out the FAQ page. It answered my questions, particularly, what happens to our money, if we fail to establish the RRG. I wanted to know that it wouldn't just evaporate. It won't; USHPA will refund (and negate the tax deduction) any donated monies, if the request is made.

So it's a no-brainer for me to send $500 to help. I was going to send it to the Nature Conservancy but flying is closer to home. And now, four of my compatriots in the SHGA who can't donate are covered.

To the rest of you, consider that $100 isn't much - five rides up the hill for most of you.

Thinking about that, how about if I offer the next ten SHGA/USHPA members who donate $100 or more and post here a voucher for one free ride up with me? [Certain conditions and exclusions apply.] Yeah, I know, we only charge $10 but pricing is subject to change at any time. Think of it as a 10% discount on your already tax deductible donation.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.
JD

An Economic Perspective

Post by JD »

Our thousands of dollars worth of HG/PG equipment will be reduced to a few hundred dollars the moment most sites close. If we can't use our HG/PG gear then neither can most other pilots. So how much will it then be worth? That one or two hundred dollars we just saved by holding back on the RRG has now cost each of us several thousand dollars or more. That's how economic reality works.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Posting for Ron, $200 and Rob, $100.

Eight free rides remaining.
JD

Post by JD »

Okay Jim, I am torn between modesty and following simple instructions. Of course there are free rides up to think about but only if it includes a passenger restraint system without curb service and mid-air entertainment.
I kicked in $150.00 a few days ago.

It's funny to me how thousands of pilots are each in possession of thousands of dollars worth of equipment that cost thousands more dollars of training to be able to use safely but won't contribute a mere hundred dollars each in order to insure that their investments don't suddenly become worthless or at least nearly so. What we have are pilots who are waiting for other pilots to pay the tab so they don't have to. The problem with this thinking is that the longer this goes on the worse our prospects look for fully funding the RRG and so the same spendthrifts become even less likely to contribute. It's a slippery slope people.
mario

Post by mario »

Thanks for starting this thread Jim.

I gave $200 on 12/9 and will give more before the time is up if it is needed.
It's a lot of money for me, but just think of all the money I've saved on gas and rides up the hill with this string of bad flying weather! I will let some of my other charitable givings go this year to support this sport that is dear to me.
Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and safe flying to all,
Mario
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Thanks Jim. I just donated $200. Charge someone $10 and donate that the RRG instead of my free ride. Every little bit helps.
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Thanks Jim. I just donated $200. Charge someone $10 and donate that the RRG instead of my free ride. Every little bit helps.
Mike M
Site Admin

!

Post by Mike M »

I just donated $200. This is important.

Also consider this my intention to be more present in our unpowered flight than I've been lately while doing powered flight!
Bob Kuczewski

Misguided Loyalty

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

It's great to see the willingness of pilots to step up and support hang gliding.

But throwing money at the organization responsible for losing our insurance isn't sustainable.

I don't know how long USHPA has been purchasing insurance, but several decades is a safe guess. They've been able to hold onto their insurance program for all that time, and now they've lost it. Before throwing more money at their feet, wouldn't it be prudent to look into what's gone wrong in recent years to make USHPA uninsurable?

There's a lot going on with this RRG scheme, and all the cards aren't on the table. One question that hasn't been answered is whether it would be beneficial for Sylmar to be a part owner of the RRG along with the schools and other clubs. If that turns out to have a benefit for Sylmar, then every dollar that you give directly to USHPA is one less dollar that you can give through Sylmar. Of course that's what USHPA wants because they don't want to answer to local clubs. But is that in YOUR best interests?

USHPA has screwed up a decades old insurance policy and now they're trying to spread fear and panic to keep people from having rational discussions about how to really fix the problems.

My advice is to avoid the "lemming rush" that's being promoted by USHPA and hanggliding.org. Hold onto your money while other options are discussed. You can give your money in February if that turns out to be the best answer. This is a time for thoughtful discussion and not blind panic.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Jim

Post by Jim »

So I believe I now owe Rob, Ron, Ken Manatt (who doesn't remember his password for posting), Jonathan, Mike Moacanin, and Mario a ride. Oh, and Michael Bastan (I'll wait for you to slip your new daddy duties and come out). That's seven (or $70 I have to account for for my wife myself :roll: ). Three more spots left.

Thank you for all the support in setting an example for our members.
JD

Post by JD »

Hey Bob Kuczewski,
Why not donate $100 or more to the RRG so you can ride up with us even if you won't be flying? ImageImageImageImage
Cheers,
JD
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Tangent Man wrote:Hey Bob Kuczewski,
Why not donate $100 or more to the RRG so you can ride up with us even if you won't be flying? ImageImageImageImage
Cheers,
JD
Jonathan,

Your snarky remark reveals 2 things about you:

1. Malice - finding joy in another's misfortune
2. Ignorance - you must not know Dino

But you unwittingly helped make my point. I - and possibly many others - might contribute to a fund being managed by Sylmar to benefit Sylmar. But I - and possibly many others - do not want to see our money being used to strengthen USHPA's grip on our sports without some "strings attached". So if you really cared about the largest total donation pool, you'd back that plan.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Again, three spots left. Any takers?
Jim

Post by Jim »

BTW, ride voucher is good for any day of the week, including Thursday Club meetings, but you must reserve in advance.
Steve90266

Ride up

Post by Steve90266 »

I just sent in $200. Did I make the list?
Steve Murillo
Dan Barley

Re: Donations

Post by Dan Barley »

My $150 went in a week ago!
Dan B.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I've sent in my donation, for an amount which meets your requirements Jim. Can I have a ride voucher? :)
OP

Post by OP »

100$ Someone keep a running tally of our clubs contribution.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

OP wrote:100$ Someone keep a running tally of our clubs contribution.
Good idea!!! Keep track of how much Sylmar money gets flushed down the USHPA toilet.

You'll notice that USHPA is soliciting DONATIONS from members but INVESTMENTS from the big schools.

This is a wealth redistribution scheme to take money from members and clubs and concentrate it with USHPA insiders.

Why did USHPA organize an RRG and not a mutual? The answer is control and ownership.

But don't mind any of that. Have a contest to see who can flush their money the fastest!
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

Bob, I hope you realize that the more you post things like that, the less persuasive you become.

Or at least that's my personal reaction to reading your posts.

Which is a pity, because you sometimes have a point that I find I could agree with... but then you go and post these sour grapes type posts and it just puts me off.

It's a shame, people might actually listen to you if you didn't do that.