Weather Station

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Chip
Site Admin

Weather Station

Post by Chip »

Now that I have the stupid IGNORE button working, I'm moving on to the next project.

Seeing how the LZ has internet now, there's a whole host of things we can do to make it easier to decide if the trip to Sylmar is worth the drive. Now if you lived in Sylmar like a few of us, the drive is no big deal. But for others, coming out here to find that the wind hasn't switched as "promised", it might be a disappointment.

Weather Station and LZ Web Cam

I have the camera and the weather station hardware, I'm still waiting for the camera mount and will likely install the weather station sensors this weekend.

I'm testing the weather station (WS) here at home. I've already registered the WS with Weather Underground (WU) and PWS (Personal Weather Station). I'm working on being a contributor to APRS/CWOP, but that needs to be approved. The other setups were completed on-line.

In the near future (before the Spring Air), you will be able to both see and monitor the current conditions in the LZ. I still need a server for the WS and Web Cam. That will be installed about the time I install the Web Cam.

Here's the link to WU (may be down until I get the server running)
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-we ... KCACALIF63

Here's PWS reporting

This is just downright fun!
JD

Post by JD »

:D :D :D :D
TomS

Post by TomS »

Thanks for your efforts, Chip!
I guess I am dense because I don't get how OP's post relates to the topic.
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Very nice! I participated in a Kickstarter for an Arduino-style embedded micro which comes with inclusive cellular data. I was thinking of making a solar-powered standalone wind speed/direction device with it. If I could get that going, we could put it up on launch, assuming that the cellular provider has coverage there.

It might be a bit redundant when there's the Camp 9 station though.

Also, fair warning, the device didn't ship yet, and I'm not super-speedy at getting my personal projects completed...
Steve Clark

Help?

Post by Steve Clark »

That's awesome Chip! :-)
I would really like to help you set these things up if you need help. Please let me know if you need help. Let me know ahead of time, as I am coming from Lancaster now.

818-326-6800
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Weather station is mounted and working so that's good. Still need to put the software on a server. I'm getting that setup.

Until then the internet portion isn't going to be working. But when it does, then the links I provided above will be live. We can get a widget from our own weather station, like this

The weather station has a rain gauge that isn't setup yet. Also missing a UV sensor, but will likely get one unless it's too expensive.

So server next. Maybe by next week.

As far as the mountain top with cellular, not really all that interested in it for a few reasons.

1. There's already several mountain top winds sites on the internet that are close enough to get an idea what's happening (of course that same excuse goes for putting one up on our site too). I like using this one. Has Lukens, two on Oat Mt, Crestline, San Dimas. That's pretty much our entire San Gabriel range.

2. What we would really need is APRS/CWOP radio transmission for mountain top.

3. Maintenance is much more of a pain.
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Data can be injected into the APRS IS even if it didn't originate over a ham band, so I'm not sure what the issue is with point 2. But points 1 and 3 are well taken. I'm sure I can find something else to do with the device.
fab

Re: Weather Station

Post by fab »

Thanks Chip.
It is indeed smtg that is missing in the club; today I called the LZ at 1pm to get information about the wind !
Cheers,
Fab
BTW: it was flyable at Kagel today, Sunday January 24, 2016. Became South on the main launch at 2pm; good soaring conditions.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Well, it's up and working ok. Here's the URL's for the weather station

Weather Underground

Weather Underground RapidFire near realtime updates for wind and direction

Personal Weather Station

Our own server

The last one has a real time wind meter at the bottom, refreshes every 5 seconds.
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks Chip!
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Nice addition Chip. Thanks!
Chip
Site Admin

Next up, web cam

Post by Chip »

I need to thank Francisco who did one of the more difficult tasks of running the power cable under the storage over to the existing outlet. Not sure how difficult it was, but without that assistance, I'd still be in a holding mode.

Now hopefully the mount for the web camera will get here soon. They have their money, so now just need to get the mount in my hands.

Everything else is ready for the cam. The server is now up and running and even has a web server running on the server.

Should pretty much be plug and pray. :o
mario

Post by mario »

Awesome! Thank you Chip!! (And Francisco and whoever else helped out!)
Chip
Site Admin

Wind Switches

Post by Chip »

Can you believe it?

And now there is proof

BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Yes it did turn south for a while in the LZ, but not on top.
Still, the weather station is cool!
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

I've basically saturated all the existing weather sites with our weather station details.

So far I have:

Weather Underground
PWS
CWOP/APRS (ham radio community)
Installed our own web server that will also serve as a web, cam, and ftp server
And recently applied to windfinder, they've got what they need so I suspect that will get turned on soon.

I also added some links to the SHGA weather page so pilots/members don't need to remember to bookmark the page.

Some of the best links I like is the gauges page on the weather server (good for real time wind speed and direction). And then there is the trends page nice to see what it did for that specific day.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Ok, last update.

We're now on MesoWest, a big deal for me since I use it a lot. Have wanted to see us there for some time.

There's a couple of different names for the station
E8724
EW8724
AV149
KE6VUM my 2 meter call sign

Data available in a couple of different formats
Tabular

Then from the left panel, choose graphical.
Enjoy!
:wink:
Last edited by Chip on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip
Site Admin

OK, one more

Post by Chip »

Last edited by Chip on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Our first failure. Temp/Humidity sensor appears to be down. Program says it's not the battery, and it shouldn't be based on the sun is out and providing power. I'll make a trip to the LZ later today or tomorrow.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Reset console, and resolved the issue. Not sure why that needed done, but easy enough to do. Re-acquired all of the sensors and only needed to set altimeter and time/date