Ron Keinan

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

I visited Ron for an hour this afternoon. He looks very well physically but he slept for the first 30 minutes. So I just spoke to him all that time, with very little reaction from him. I know he wasn't understanding what I was saying, but the important thing is for him to hear a voice, and hope that on some level he was aware that he had company, and that it was a friend.
After 30 minutes, he started to stir, with a lot of movement on his left side and a little on he right. I just continued to talk, telling him the names of everybody in the Club who was sending their good wishes, hoping that he might recognize the sound of the names. His eyes were open and at one point he appeared to focus on me. I asked him to shake hands and took his left hand, and he gave my hand a firm squeeze.
Ron is looking at what could be a long recovery, so it's important that he gets as much brain stimulation as we can give him. Having friends visit him and talk to him is one way to help him regain brain function.
In addition to that, having someone there with Ron frees up Denise to do the million things that she is now having to deal with on her own right now. So give Ron a visit. It'll big a big help to him and Denise.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
lbunner

Re:Ron

Post by lbunner »

Thanks for the update from afar. I've read where music therapy is effective as well. Perhaps you all could play some of his favorite songs to help stimulate his brain.

Wish I was closer so I could visit too.
Jim

Post by Jim »

If you haven't had a chance to visit Ron, your window of opportunity may be closing as early as next Tuesday (11/1). Nothing is certain yet, but it could be that he will transfer to a special rehabilitation center as far away as Philadelphia and remain there for up to 8 weeks. Use213 250 4200to check on Ron's status at the current hospital before you travel.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Sebastian Lutges visited Ron today and said that he looked good, and has made progress since seeing him 2 weeks ago. He wants people to know that Ron will still be at this facility through Wednesday but might be moved after that. Stop by if you can. I can't hurt and it just might help. Call first if you can't make it until after Wednesday 213-250-4200.
JD

Post by JD »

I visited Ron this afternoon which was my first since his accident. Hungary Joe and Cynthia were there when I arrived. The more we all talked about things that would interest Ron such as hiking up Runyon Canyon Trail, swimming with his kids and negotiating real estate deals, the more animated he became. He looks well and his eyes were open most of the time but it's like being near a sleepwalker who has his eyes open. I would like to be there with a neurologist so I could learn more. I heard second-hand that maybe Ron won't be going to Philly after all but don't put off coming to visit. It's a very nice facility and harkens back to the Los Angeles of the 1920s with it's architecture. Ron really perked up when the three of us got talking and included him in the conversation as if he were aware of us. Please give our matzoh bro a good talking to.
Cheers, Jonathan
JD

Post by JD »

Follow-up. Ron's brother Tal indicated that Ron will be in Philly on Friday. I don't know whether Ron will be available to visit tomorrow.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Ron made it to Philadelphia without incident, except for a little confusion over the move.. He is receiving the best rehabilitation care available and may return in 6 to 8 weeks.

Updates here as they are received.
JD

Great News from Ron's brother Tal - 11/7/2016

Post by JD »

Posted by Tal on Facebook this morning:

Week Eight:
Thanks, as always, for everyone's continued support. There has been progress on our end.
Ron Keinan was transferred to the Moss Rehabilitation Center, in Philadelphia, on Friday. His progress, in the last week, has been very encouraging. He is exhibiting his first purposeful interactions with his environment. This is a key diagnostic milestone. He began by silently singing a song. (He is limited to lip-syncing by his tracheostomy tube.) Thanks to Jeffrey Wiener and Don Henley for facilitating this advance. Since that song, he has begun following basic commands, answering yes-or-no questions, making requests through hand gestures, and playing simple games. Yesterday, he took his first walk (ten steps), assisted by the physical therapy team at Moss. This morning, he brushed his teeth.
There is a long and winding road ahead, of course. Progress will be inconsistent and we will face setbacks. Ron will fight hard for each new victory. Importantly, however, we think he is in the game now. We can feel Ron awakening inside that body for the first time, and he is coming back with all of his stubbornness and fight.
The professionalism, tenacity and extraordinary ingenuity of the team at Moss is inspiring. We are grateful to be here. Thank you to everyone who played a role in this effort, including Geoff Ling, John Whyte, Shoshana Rosen, and Carl Anderson and the crew at AngelMed Flight. We are lucky to have Amber Amber Landeau Keinan as quarterback on Ron's team. Without Amber's creativity and perseverance, this would not have happened. We are certain that Ron's work at Moss will impact the ultimate outcome dramatically.
As before, I will hold off on additional updates until we have another dramatic development or a meaningful aggregation of smaller developments. Thank you friends from around the world, old and new, people we see often and people with whom we had lost touch. Thanks to the hang glider pilots, the army buddies, classmates, business friends, close and distant family, and thanks to our new friends in the neuroscience and trauma communities. We have all channeled so much energy into Ron's recovery. I know he is feeling it through the visits, the calls, and the comments, which we read to him, and that our energy is fueling his fight. I imagine the prayers are not hurting either. Wishing you all health and love.
DrJeff

Thanks for Tal's update

Post by DrJeff »

Please do post Tal's updates when they come for all of us not connected on FB. Thanks! Sounds encouraging!
Jeff Bjorck
www.purepiano.com ~quiet music to calm the heart in a noisy world~