http://www.ambest.com/video/video.aspx? ... liding2818
greblo

Post by greblo »

I'm glad I watched it. Thanks Greg.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Joe Faust

Post by Joe Faust »

A huge foundational assumption by the middle person does not hold true; he assumed that hang gliding would not be possible without the insurance.

Indeed hang gliding exists when no third-party insurance is present.

So, with such a fallacious assumption, the castle built must be questioned.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

It was an informative interview: 9,000 regular (presumably long-term) members and 30,000 - 35,000 temporary members every year. If you do the math it explains their fierce protection of the tandem joy ride business.

Joe Faust is right that the middle guy misrepresented the future of hang gliding without insurance. But then he's in the insurance business, and they like to project that It's unsafe to sneeze without insurance (both pesonal and liability).

I was most surprised that Tim Herr didn't share USHPA's centerpiece strategy for reducing pay-outs: intimidation and retaliation against witnesses. I thought he'd have been very proud of that stroke of genius.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I just renewed my Ushpa membership. Its just too many hours needed to calculate the insurance free Sylmar model and $10 a month is hardly worth 3 years of study and resources when we can wait and see how Utah plays out. Besides Mommas dont let their babies grow up to be actuarial scientists. Frankly, I am concerned after the epic rescue of the sport by creating the RRG that both Hass and Forbes have mutated into actuarial scientists and their must be some way to rescue them in turn.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePtDvh4Yq4[/youtube]

The quickest way with the least work is for rebel pilot to sign surety bond using appreciated San Diego realestate equity and have Shga Bod vote and sign off on it.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

esurance just released their version.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB8wXHtXUfQ[/youtube]
Bob Kuczewski

Free Flying without the RRRG

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

dhmartens wrote:... we can wait and see how Utah plays out.
Utah has played out fantastically well Doug!!

I was flying at Point of the Mountain for a week-long trip shortly after your post in August. See pictures here:
Point of the Mountain, August 2018
http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3031
I was there with Frank Colver and we had a great time. John Heiney was there and I got to meet Logan whose efforts opened all of Utah's state parks to NON-USHPA pilots. I made the trip to verify it first hand. WOW!!

At age 83, Frank Colver made his first high flight in 39 years!! See pictures here:
Thanks to Logan for freeing all of Utah's State Parks from USHPA membership requirements!!!

All of Utah's State Parks now follow the Dockweiler model, and I've heard that Ed Levin park is no longer requiring USHPA either (although I haven't verified that personally yet).

Step by step, pilots are changing the landscape of hang gliding in the U.S.! :D
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.