Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Bob Kuczewski

USHGRS - US Hang Gliding Rating System

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Hello Fellow Sylmar Pilots,

There's another new hang gliding rating service that's just gone on-line at:

ushgrs.org

The site was recently launched by Joe Faust, and it's intended to provide hang gliding rating information without the ugly shadow of politics.

As many of you may know, USHPA's rating system has been around a very long time, but it's recently been called into question for the revocation of ratings (and memberships) for "political" reasons.

You may also know that the US Hawks has been offering ratings - based on proof of equivalent USHPA ratings - for a few years now. However, it's no secret that the US Hawks is viewed as the devil by USHPA (it was the first thing listed in my 2015 expulsion notice). So many pilots are a bit fearful about getting involved with the US Hawks for fear of USHPA's wrath.

The ushgrs.org hopes to avoid all of that politics by simply issuing and posting ratings without any other "drama". They will hopefully become an objective measure of pilot ability without any of the club membership fees and politics associated with USHPA (or the US Hawks). In other words, USHGRS intends to follow the model first inspired by the Wright brothers whose ratings were good for life (also adopted by the FAA).

There should be no down side to getting a USHGRS rating, and if USHPA should collapse, then the USHGRS will preserve your ratings. At the present time, USHPA ratings are easily verified on line and can be used to verify a USHGRS rating (or a US Hawks rating). But if USHPA should suddenly find itself owned by its creditors, then that web site may become unavailable as its assets are being sold off. So it might be most convenient to diversify your ratings portfolio while USHPA is still alive and kicking.

Finally, I posted this in the "General" section because I thought it might be of general interest. However, please feel free to move it to "Politics" if anyone feels this is too "political" for the general section.

Thanks.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

The USHGRS ratings list keeps growing!!

Check it out at:

http://www.ushgrs.org/HGpilots/FullList.html
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.