WINGNUTZ for Regional Director

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

WingNutz

WINGNUTZ for Regional Director

Post by WingNutz »

I'm hoping for your vote for me as regional director for Region 3 of the USHPA, which includes Southern California and Hawaii.
You can vote between November 1 and December 15 , and you can see my candidate statement at USHPA.org, then
Click the "News" tab, then
Click the "Elections" tab.
There are buttons to View Candidate Statements, Vote, and View Results.
Thanks for your support.
Larry Chamblee
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
JD

Post by JD »

You got my vote and my support. I'll be happy to spread the word around to the other clubs I belong to.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Good Luck Larry.

It was 10 years ago this December that I defeated David Jebb for that seat.

I have to say it changed my life ... and I wouldn't have done it any other way. :)

Best wishes.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski

Re: WINGNUTZ for Regional Director

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Congratulations Larry Chamblee!!
In December of 2018, USHPA wrote:Larry Chamblee 121 votes
Darrel Wood 2 votes
Josh Cohn 1 vote
Rob Sporrer 1 vote
Jessica Frump 1 vote
USHPA is USELESS 1 vote
You were only one vote short ...
In December of 2008, USHPA wrote:Bob Kuczewski 122 votes
David Jebb 98 votes
Peter Michelmore 8 votes
Larry Newby 1 vote
But to be fair, you'd have gotten my vote in 2018 if I'd been allowed to cast one. 8)

Maybe we can fix that soon? :wink:
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Larry received more votes than any of the 9 directors elected nationally in this election cycle.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Larry, Ken, Alan, and Erika,

That's all 3 of USHPA's Region 3 Directors and USHPA's Communications Manager.

Can any one of you state the actual ratings for the two pilots killed at Torrey Pines?
  • Glenn Johnny Peter Bengtsson, Carlsbad (43)
  • Raul Gonzalez Valerio, Laguna Hills (61)
There have been a number of rumors (see other topic), but it seems prudent to go to someone in authority such as Region 3 Directors and USHPA's Communication Manager.

Thanks in advance.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Bob Kuczewski wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am Larry, Ken, Alan, and Erika,

Can any one of you state the actual ratings for the two pilots killed at Torrey Pines?
Three weeks now and none of the Region 3 Directors nor the "Communications Manager" will let anyone know the ratings of the dead pilots?

Self regulation? Really?
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

My report shows the Northbound pilot was 70% to blame, Donald trump 30% to blame.
Trump defeated the deep state last year thus ending the weather modification that created an artificial drought in California in order to expedite green policies years earlier then expected thus giving the earth a better chance of survival. The resulting cloud street and atmospheric river remnants distracted the northbound pilot (spaced out) who did not see the incoming student.

The tides were near low tide at the time of the accident so he had a large bail out LZ available.
https://www.almanac.com/astronomy/tides ... go/2019-03

Two members of my 80s band made it through the Stargate and wrote an instrumental titled "Spaced out".
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mb28heRnB8[/youtube]

One last note: Until Ushpa sees the coroners report, two possibilities cannot be ruled out.
1) The on looker who climbed down the cliff to tie off the 2 pilots may have injected them with a lethal substance.
2) On impact one pilot may have been fatally injured, killed the other pilot with his bare hands and then succumbed to his injuries.

Please pay attention when thermalling in crowds and do not space out on the unusual clouds unless it is safe to do so.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

dhmartens wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm My report shows the Northbound pilot was 70% to blame, Donald trump 30% to blame.
The Torrey web site states that paragliding requires a P3 with 50 hours of flight time.

A P3 rating requires only 20 hours. So the Torrey "requirement" is 2 and a half times higher than the requirement for a new P3. In fact, the Torrey requirement of 50 hours is closer to the 75 hour P4 requirement than to the 20 hour P3 requirement.

According to unofficial reports (there have been no official reports from USHPA despite many requests), the pilots both got their ratings (P3 and P1) in February 2019. They were dead on March 9th, 2019. It is highly likely that neither had the supposedly required P3 rating with 50 hours of flight time.

The relationship between pilot ratings and site ratings is clear. Pilots without the site rating are officially considered to lack the skills to fly safely at the site under conditions commonly present at that site. Those conditions include terrain, weather, and traffic.

So the Torrey concession is selling access to a site to pilots who explicitly do not have the skills required to fly safely at that site. Period.

You can't put human beings in a position where they are in over their heads (in skill, experience, and judgement), and then blame them when they don't meet the standards that you already knew they didn't meet. This is exactly what happened in the Shannon Hamby case (also at Torrey) that contributed to USHPA's uninsurability.

Please reconsider your assessment of blame Doug. You're normally spot on in your assessments, so this one oversight is certainly an anomaly. Thanks.
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

I think this is a worthwhile discussion but I'd say it's under the wrong thread and probably the wrong forum category.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

gregangsten wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:22 pm I think this is a worthwhile discussion but I'd say it's under the wrong thread and probably the wrong forum category.
Just like any human conversation ... topics do wander. I've been moderating the U.S. Hawks forum since 2010 ... it's like herding cats.

Sincerely,
Bob Catzewski
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

On Mar 22, 2019 at 11:03 am Bob Kuczewski wrote:Larry, Ken, Alan, and Erika,

There have been a number of rumors (see other topic), but it seems prudent to go to someone in authority such as Region 3 Directors and USHPA's Communication Manager.

Thanks in advance.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Current USHPA Directors:
  • Owen Shoemaker Director 01 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Steve Rodrigues Director 02 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Neil R. Hansen Director 03 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Gregory Kelley Director 04 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Kenneth L. Grubbs Director 05 5/30/2019 12/19/2019
  • Felipe Amunategui Director 06 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Tiki Mashy GF Director 01 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Larry G. Dennis GF Director 02 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Matthew Taber GF Director 03 5/30/2019 12/31/2019
  • Doyle Johnson GF Director 05 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Dan Lukaszewicz GF Director 06 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Katelyn M. Griffin GF Director 07 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Michael R. Holmes GF Director 08 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Paul Voight GF Director 09 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Alan Crouse President 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Kenneth Andrews Secretary 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Mark G. Forbes Treasurer 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
  • Randall Shane Vice President 5/30/2019 12/31/2020
Sadly, Lawrence never answered.

Two deaths at Torrey of students who should have been under supervision and there is no response from Alan Crouse, Ken Andrews, Lawrence Chamblee, or Erika Klein. How do any of you sleep at night?