Katherine Yardley - Sad News

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

BudRob

Katherine Yardley - Sad News

Post by BudRob »

Yesterday, Katherine was found floating unconscious during a snorkeling outing with a friend, while vacationing in Hawaii. CPR efforts were unsuccessful. No additional details are known at this time but an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
Malury

Re: Katherine Yardley - Sad News

Post by Malury »

I'm so sad to hear about this tragic event. Katherine was a precious person and so important to our club. I am here on Hawaii and if the is anything I can do to help, I am willing. I have made contact with the local authorities and await their instructions.

Here is a brief news story about it.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/10/0 ... -drowning/
greblo

Re: Katherine Yardley

Post by greblo »

For all of us in the SHGA, there can be no greater friend and no more important contributor than Katherine. Katherine was an important player in every significant club milestone, as a founding member and past president of the SHGA, women’s world record cross country distance holder, longtime hang gliding political and promotional visionary, and hardworking club secretary.

I can’t think of anyone else that has been in our club for as long, and donated as much time and effort toward protecting and advancing our flying privileges and flying fun than Katherine; and always with character and class and a smile.

With the heartbreak of recently losing both her mother and her only son, her hang gliding friends took on the role of family, for which we can all share proudly.

I feel blessed by having known Katherine, and I’m so happy that I was able to spend a week flying with her in Mexico, a week flying with her in the Soviet Union, and more than 4 decades flying with her in Sylmar.

I am sorry however that I didn’t do enough to show her how important she has been to all of us, and I’m grateful for those of you that did.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Dan Barley

Post by Dan Barley »

WOW! I am floored by this horrible news! My life has been enriched by her friendship and dedication to living the good life including hang gliding.

Rest in peace Katherine. I will miss you!
Dan B.
Steve90266

Post by Steve90266 »

Pat and I are shocked and profoundly saddened by this news. We are here in the Owens, about to head up to Walt's for a long flight. If I were capable, I'd honor her memory with a long flight up into Nevada, like she would have done. Alas, I lack her skill, energy and enthusiasm.

Katherine was an anchor for our club. She was always there for us at a moment's notice, with a smile and a "can do" attitude. Katherine will be sorely missed by us all. God is with her. Rest in peace, Katherine. See you in a boomer some time up there!
Steve Murillo
hcmom

Post by hcmom »

This is heartbreaking. She was wonderfully supportive to me when I was a floundering beginning pilot.
JD

Post by JD »

So sad. Katherine will be so badly missed by everyone.
Malury

Post by Malury »

Here is an outstanding video you may have seen by Wayne Yentis. Time to look again. It's got so many beloved friends and some who have left the Earth already. Katherine Yardley at the 30 minute mark, Rome Dodson, Irwin too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FvqIhD ... WL&index=9
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I will miss Katherine greatly. She was a kind and helpful person, and a huge asset to the club. I cherish her memory.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Steve90266

Post by Steve90266 »

Malury wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:26 pm Here is an outstanding video you may have seen by Wayne Yentis. Time to look again. It's got so many beloved friends and some who have left the Earth already. Katherine Yardley at the 30 minute mark, Rome Dodson, Irwin too!

Thanks for posting this, Malury. Pretty cool to see all the familiar, friendly faces. Old school!
Steve Murillo
kmk

Post by kmk »

Wow, I am shocked! Had to read it again. She was an inspiration to me and will be greatly missed by all. I feel lucky to have known such an amazing person and pilot.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Malury wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:26 pm Here is an outstanding video you may have seen by Wayne Yentis. Time to look again. It's got so many beloved friends and some who have left the Earth already. Katherine Yardley at the 30 minute mark, Rome Dodson, Irwin too!

Thanks Malury.

Thanks to you as well Katherine.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

One of our great SHGA pillars. Selfless in spirit, time and guidance in helping to make SHGA what it is today. And always with a smile.

I defer to Joe's words above on more of how great a person Katherine was. All I can say is that when I look back over my lifetime Katherine was one of those few people that every single time I was lucky to be around, would inspire and lift me just with her presence.

Thanks Katherine. You are sorely missed.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Sad to hear. We will all miss her.
Fear is not boring
Harry Martin
greblo

Post by greblo »

Saturday was a great event I think, for everyone who attended. I thought I'd post a nostalgic photo
shgafloat1.jpg
shgafloat1.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 6992 times
of Katherine leading the SHGA's float entry in the Sylmar Parade (early 1980s)

Katherine is on the left in the foreground. The float is Rome Dodson's pickup truck with a western town mural painted on the sides.
Juan Corral led the art project to build a set, complete with a bank being robbed, a bandit played by Terry "Red" Gardner (in the black glider hanging onto money bags) and the white hat Sheriff, hot on his tail. Toby Fazio played the Sheriff.

Lots of club spirit and enthusiasm followed Katherine, even way back then.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I found two photos, one from that parade and I think the old bus.

Missing Katherine.
Malury

Post by Malury »

I finally got out to Mahukona Beach Park on Dec. 6th. This is the location of Katherine's accident. It is a beautiful old harbor where the Hawaii railroad terminated. A favorite snorkeling spot with easy water access and parking.
I noticed two gentlemen sitting around drinking Bud Light and I knew these would be the ones who would know the story. "Rueben" told me he was there on that day and his friend John noticed Katherine was not moving much. John found she was unconscious and called for help from friends. He brought her over to the swim steps and many people helped to get her on the dock. Rueben said that there was so many people helping her that he just stayed out of the way. He said there was a tourist who was a doctor from Australia trying to resuscitate her with help from a local nurse. An ambulance was called but since it is so remote a long time passed before she reached the hospital in Waimea. Rueben and the others there felt that she was already gone, even before the paramedics arrived.
I told Rueben about Katherine and her flying accomplishments. I asked him to thank his friends for their noble efforts to save her. I said it was a "Mitsvah" and that there were many friends in the SHGA who would like to thank them too.
As luck would have it, there was an isolated rain storm just offshore and so the light was kind of muted and melancholy. It seemed poetic and sad. Here is a link to the location.
With Aloha from Mahukona Beach.
Malury
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mahuk ... 2831?hl=en