Hang glider crash cuts power to homes

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Surfer Bob

Hang glider crash cuts power to homes

Post by Surfer Bob »

A story in The Press-Enterprise had that headline. 1,565 customers lost power on Thanksgiving when "a hang glider lost altitude and struck power lines" in the Lakeland Village area (of Lake Elsinore). "Riverside County sheriff's Deputy Craig Roberts said the hang glider pilot, later identified as Janyce Collins, suffered minor injuries but refused treatment. No one else was hurt, Roberts said." :o
WingNutz

Sinking Out

Post by WingNutz »

Hang gliding ruins Thanksgiving for thousands. Those damn E-Teamers!

http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/s ... aa85f.html

Elizabeth Rodriguez, 23, of Lake Elsinore, was about to slide her Thanksgiving dinner turkey into the oven Thursday afternoon when the power shut off.

It turned out she was one of 1,565 customers that lost power, said Southern California Edison spokeswoman Lauren Bartlett. The outage was caused when a hang glider lost altitude and struck power lines at Blanche Drive and Via Media in the Lakeland Village area.

"This is the first time our family has been together in a long time, and we had plans to go shopping tonight," Rodriguez said Thursday afternoon. Her home lost power about 1:15 p.m.

"This just worried us and set our plans behind," she said.

Most of the families affected had their lights back on in about an hour. Bartlett said that at 2:15 p.m., crews were still working to restore power to 147 homes, including many around the lake.

Riverside County sheriff's Deputy Craig Roberts said the hang glider pilot, later identified as Janyce Collins, suffered minor injuries but refused treatment. No one else was hurt, Roberts said.

Reach Jamie Ayala at 951-763-3451 or jayala@PE.com

Janyce, We're glad you weren't hurt.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
WingNutz

The limerick contest is on.

Post by WingNutz »

She who lives on the forum shall be roasted on the forum.

Ahem ....

Intrepidly, Pilot Janyce
Went E-team in wind from northeast
She sunk out her flyer
and took down a wire
And spoiled thousands' Thanksgiving feast

Budla boom, tssssssshhh !

Thankyuhverruhmuch.

The contest is on.

CONTEST NO. 2- - Janyce's new flying name.

Remember, "Powerline" Mike (Hopkins) is taken.

So is "Sparky" Ravine (Gil Levine.)

Suggestions: The Grinch who stole Thanksgiving. (Too long.)

Hotwire Janyce

Wi Fi, Why Fly

Lightnin'

Anyone plagiarizing the above names will be deducted points for lack of originality, but given extra points for recognizing true genius when he or she sees it.

Best name, (in my sole discretion, since I'm running this contest) wins a special achievement award at the holiday party.

Larry Chamblee
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Power Puff

eJanyce

Wire Gobbler

Electrocutie

Electron Girl or 'Lectric Lady

20/200

Hot Wyre

Feast or Flamin'

-------------------------------

An incipient e-team girl flyer
Upon landing should have been higher
'Cause she wasn't quite lookin'
And then she was cookin'
On the power lines sparkin' beside her
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Because HG pilots are anyways so heroic, it can only be "Electra".
jcflies

nickname? how bout F***ing Dumb***!

Post by jcflies »

i did get a provisional spot on the E team, though...

and the "J" and the "C" (i swear!) carved into my forehead by the barbed wire fence (that i can't remember hitting) are, according to my plastic surgeon (who only recently finished the last round of repairs), not likely to scar...

intermediate syndrome? probably...
(but when have i not had it?)

thanks for the fun limericks; it's all a bit embarassing, and, of course,
there's true and lasting remorse (but that's not going to be shared in a public forum...)

anyway, i've decided that
hang gliding's just too scary for me and i have to quit...

(just kidding)

see you all as soon as the stitches are out and the sense that got knocked into me takes hold.

j
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
JT

Post by JT »

In addition to some of those posted, Andy, Phil, Rob and I drove up considering Janyce's new moniker and we think Greg Angston's multifaceted "Cold Turkey" really rings true. Phil also thought it would be cute to greet her as Happy Thanksgiving in mid-Summer. All of us are glad to hear you're fine and we knew there was no way this would cause you to quit.
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

"Cold Turkey" is brilliant.
dcutter

Post by dcutter »

Cold turkey is Ok. But I like Fried Turkey better.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

All kidding aside, we are all glad you are OK, Janyce. And I never thought you'd quit either. ;-) But DO watch out for those pesky power lines....

Fried Turkey is more accurate, but doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Cold Turkey.

Janyce, a pilot, went flyin'.
To stay in the air she was tryin'.
But then she sank out,
and hit (with a shout)
powerlines, near which she's lyin'.
JT

Post by JT »

It should be obvious that Cold Turkey is a reference to the effect Janyce had on Thanksgiving, not a description of her or her abilities.
Although, I did say "multifaceted", didn't I? Go figure, George.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

How about POWER POLE DANCER
VOLTAR WARRIOR PRINCESS
VOLTAR THE DESTROYER
SMOKEY
BARB
BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ
THE SHOCKER
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

JT wrote:It should be obvious that Cold Turkey is a reference to the effect Janyce had on Thanksgiving, not a description of her or her abilities.
Although, I did say "multifaceted", didn't I? Go figure, George.
Yea, I got that Jim. I just thought that (despite the fact that I like it), Cold Turkey might be misleading to many, with it's connotations of "stopping drugs/cigarettes/alcohol, etc without tapering off." But it is a memorable name, catchy and so on. It is more likely to stick than some that aren't catchy. But I have a poor track record judging what will stick, so don't listen to me.... Although I do know the kind of thing that will stick. Short, catchy, funny, appropriate, mildly insulting maybe and alliterative if possible. Oh, and not too "intellectual." Maybe that's why I miss what will catch on... ;-)
JT

Post by JT »

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist the bait, George.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Janyce, a pilot renowned,
Hit powerlines and she was downed.
On Thanksgiving she crashed.
Hopes for dinner were dashed.
And her nickname "Cold Turkey" was found.
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Haiku:

Fluttering Leaves Fall.

Flying Girl, Look! Look! Beware!

Cold Food, Still Warm Girl.
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

Haiku deeper than limerick, yet retains sense of humor.

Larry Chamblee
JT

Post by JT »

Agreed, excellent.

Just to update you all on Janyce's condition, she is OK but her hip is bothering her a little. There is a possibilty of a hairline pelvis fracture. She's going in for X-rays, ASAP and will update as necessary. Hopefully, it isn't anything but post-crash soreness/stiffness. And she misses us... or at least flying with us.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Flamejob wrote:Haiku deeper than limerick, yet retains sense of humor.
But Limericks are so fun! And they stick in your head and just won't let go.....
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Janyce, we like you. We want you to live (intact). All of the ribbing is for that reason. I've seen enough of this stuff to know. When someone we dislike messes up, it doesn't get stated to their face. We just shake our heads and recognize that they won't be here long. Is that right? Nope. But that's the way most people are. Maybe we point it out to them a bit, but we stop right away. With our friends, we are tougher, because we care more. I'm sorry you can't see that now. But it is true. I've never been tougher on screw-ups with anyone than with my best friend. (Except maybe with myself!) The more we care, the more effort we are willing to expend to keep them alive and uninjured.

In the interests of amity, I'm done with my ribbing. I think it might be good for others to do the same, although that's their choice. But the fact is that we do it because we care. If we didn't, we'd just laugh at you behind your back. It has been done before to others. I refuse to name names in public, but you all know it is true.