Watering grass in the LZ (and oleanders)

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

stebbins

Watering grass in the LZ (and oleanders)

Post by stebbins »

To all:

Please do not water the grass in the LZ. The brown portions are generally not that way because of lack of water, but because of poor soil and fertilization. We are going to be fertilizing the lawn soon. Also, we are trying to adjust the sprinklers zone by zone. To do this, we need to know which zones need more and which need less water. If you water the grass, then it make it difficult to determine if we need to change the watering schedule. If you feel that there is something wrong with the watering in a particluar spot, PLEASE tell Ken Andrews or another board member. Ken is currently in charge of adjusting the watering schedule and maintaining the sprinkler heads. He's the guy to go to for this.

Water for the grass is one of (the?) largest expenses that we have. The last time a well-meaning club member started watering, our water bill went up by several hundred dollars a month. And the grass didn't get any greener.

Also, the oleanders do NOT need watering. They should be watered (if at all) a few times a year only, and we have a system for doing that. The problem with them is that they have an oleander disease. We have been collecting information about how to solve their sorry state, and Katherine Yardley will be taking care of this soon. I suspect she will need a small work-party to help her, but she will ask when she needs the help. If you wish to get involved in this, please call her, I'm sure she'd welcome assistance from anyone who talks to her first. Heck, maybe she'll delegate the job to you, if you want it!

We do appreciate the concern that members are showing and don't wish to discourage volunteerism at all. We think it is great! By all means, if you see something that needs doing (weeds, rocks, etc.) take care of it if you want. Just don't water the grass without talking to Ken first, and don't water the oleanders at all.

By the way, if the flowers need watering, that's fine. They aren't on the sprinkler system.

Thanks!

For the SHGA Board of Directors,
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
WingNutz

Lawn

Post by WingNutz »

Rome has reported to me that they give away compost at Griffith Park, but we need a pickup or larger to pick it up. Or maybe we rent a U-Haul Trailer.

Anybody know how we can haul this stuff for free? I'm willing to do some shovelin'

Larry
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee