Condor microtrash cleanup on Saturday, January 26

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Condor microtrash cleanup on Saturday, January 26

Post by Ken Andrews »

We'll help with a condor micro trash clean-up along Santa Clara Divide Road on Saturday morning, January 26. We will meet at 8:30 in the LZ, quickly grab gliders, and carpool to the intersection of Sand Canyon Road and Santa Clara Divide Road, arriving at 9:00. You could also meet us there by driving up the Little Tujunga Road past the dirt Kagel road turnoff, and continuing to the next dirt road on the right. Afterwards, we'll go fly.

The original announcement by the Community Hiking Club says:

WHAT: SAVE THE CONDORS-STEWARDSHIP EVENT
SPONSOR: Community Hiking Club’s Stewardship Committee
WHERE: MAGIC MOUNTAIN-LOCAL PROPOSED WILDERNESS AREA
(Meet in Sand Canyon at Santa Clara Divide Road)
DATE: SEPTEMBER 8, 2007
TIME: 9:00 AM- 3:00 PM
PARTNERS: City of Santa Clarita, Placerita Nature Center

The Community Hiking Club’s Stewardship Committee is proud to sponsor another great environmental event!

On January 26 2008, the Community Hiking Club is joining forces with 2 chapters of the Sierra Club to help clean up Magic Mountain . (The MOUNTAIN, not the theme park). Recently, an necropsy of a fledgling condor was performed to see why it died. Apparently, the adult birds fed the baby condor glass and bottle caps, which killed it. Condors see broken glass as shiny bits of bone, which are edible. It is in the spirit of saving these beautiful birds that we have organized this micro-trash clean-up. Magic Mountain has long been an area where people have irresponsibly dumped large loads of trash. The Community Hiking Club has done 3 clean ups to remove these piles of trash, which have included construction site materials, couches, old toilets, sinks, and piles of recyclables and paper trash. While our focus during this event will be to remove as much of the micro-trash that the Condors find so fascinating, we will also be removing any larger trash caches and items we may find along the way. We are asking for help from as many citizens as possible to join us in this endeavor to help save the Condors. The event will go from 9-3:00. Participants need to bring gloves, water and lunch. We will meet on Sand Canyon Road and Santa Clara Divide Road at 9:00, then we will start going up Santa Clara Divide Road, picking up the trash as we go. If someone wants to help, but doesn’t have the time, they can join us at any time during the day by driving up Santa Clara Divide Road until they see us at work. For more information, contact Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel at zuliebear@aol.com or leave a message at (661)-259-2743.
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Condor microtrash cleanup

Post by Ken Andrews »

Dianne, the organizer, says:

Hi Ken,

I am thrilled that you guys are coming out on Saturday. I am hoping for a few hours break in the weather. If it is not pouring, we will be there. Even if it is drizzling, I will be going. I have put too much in to this to just cancel it. However, if it pours, or if I have no or poor attendance because of the rain, I will reschedule it.

AND, I will be doing a Kagel Canyon micro-trash clean up for the condors in a couple of months. My next project is the graffiti and micro-trash near Condor Peak, then Kagel Canyon. And for advertising purposes, I wanted to get a photo of you guys hang gliding next to a Condor. You'll have to let me know when you're down there, and I will come out and pray for a Condor!
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Condor microtrash cleanup

Post by Ken Andrews »

Here's the original flyer, a little low on resolution but mostly readable:

WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

As of 1300 today, Dianne says that it won't rain until about 1500 tomorrow, so the Microbash is ON !

I'll be in the LZ at 0830, and can carry 7 people besides me.

Bring your wet weather gear.

C'mon, what are you gonna do on a funky day? Sit around the house and get assignments? Screw that!

Please help us continue to be an organization that is Forest- and wildlife-friendly. It really helps us in our dealings with the Forest Service and other outdoor groups that share our love of the mountains, the condors and the National Forest.

Thanks.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
Steve90266

Flamejob, I dig that crazy avatar

Post by Steve90266 »

Where did you find that C-A-R-A-Z-Y Martian Head? Like Coo Coo, Daddy-O.
Steve Murillo
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Larry,

Glad to see you've finally come out of hiding and displayed your true self. I always thought you were too cool-headed and calm to be a real human. ;-)

Spiffy avatar. I really like it.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George