Walts Point Launch issues

Latest information on airspace restrictions or notices that all Kagel pilots should be aware of prior to flying. Please include the NOTAM or TFR issue date in the subject line.
stebbins

Walts Point Launch issues

Post by stebbins »

TFR near Mount Whitney right now. (As of 6/26/2021) Fire fighting. Also, many helicopters flying in and out of Lone Pine Airport. Walts launch is outside of the restricted area, but please note the image of the no-fly zone attached (The largest red circle.)

I decided not to fly yesterday, as I didn't have these maps until today. I could have flown, but going more than 1 finger north of Wononga Peak doesn't look doable. And there were lots of helicopters. It just seemed smarter to check. The official end of the restriction is August 22,but the lead firefighter seemed to think they had a handle on it, and it might be reopened by next weekend. But do check before going.

Of course, if you just want to fly around Walts, or go south, or go East across the lake then go north, those are all legit. (Remember the TFR is 5 nm om radius, which is 5.8 standard miles.)

Link to FAA NOTAM: https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_1_8557.html
Attachments
Whitney TFR 2021 June.jpg
Whitney TFR 2021 June.jpg (375.84 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George