Calling USHPA's Bluff

If your topic lands here, you either put it here yourself or one of the moderators thought it likely too polarizing a subject to stay in the General Discussion area
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Jimmy Carter is a very good man. I voted for him in 1976.

He remains one of the most trustworthy politicians of my lifetime, and he would be warmly welcomed in my home any time.

But he made a terrible President. The country suffered double digit inflation and ongoing energy shortages. But nothing showcased his weakness more than the Iranian Hostage Crisis.

I voted for Ronald Reagan in 1980.

Ken is also a very good man. But Ken dealing with USHPA is like Carter dealing with the Iranians. I suspect Ken is following the same advice that was given to me as a new Director ... be nice, be respectful, don't make waves. That advice is fine when you're dealing with Norway or Switzerland. It's terrible advice when dealing with Iran ... or USHPA.

The wheels are falling off at USHPA. The recent insurance crisis is just the tip of the iceberg. A "nice guy" approach isn't going to fix it. That's why Alan Crouse has made absolutely no difference in the course of USHPA's history. He's another Jimmy Carter ... certainly a nice enough guy.

I went into USHPA vowing not to take a dime for my effort. I didn't file for travel reimbursement. I didn't file for hotel reimbursement. I didn't file for any compensation for any of my time, effort, or expenses. I went in there to do what was right and to stand up for the members in our region. I cannot imagine me standing by and watching one of our pilots (even OP or Barton) be expelled on false charges. I didn't even know David Beardslee - I had never met him in my life - when I took up the cause against his expulsion at Torrey.

I was also fair. I never abused my power to remove ratings from any of the people who opposed me. In fact, I renewed Steve Stackable's ratings at Torrey even though I knew that he was part of the Torrey concession. I never let politics interfere with the rights of pilots to enjoy the sport of flying. That's as it should be. USHPA's expulsion has crossed that line.

As Director, I stood for fairness. I stood for balancing the Torrey Pines Soaring Council. I stood for open voting records of Directors on the USHPA Board. I stood for due process for all pilots - friend or foe. I attended every meeting and never asked for a dime in compensation.

Yet USHPA couldn't wait to get me out of office, and Mark Forbes personally assisted the recall effort. And while the votes were being cast, Mark Forbes (and the other "USHPA insiders") passed a rule that any recalled Director could not be a Director again for two years. In other words, they didn't want to trust the members (you) to make your own decisions on how to vote. They applied that new rule after my recall even though it was passed while the recall was already underway and votes had already been cast. As you may remember, I didn't campaign very hard against Bill Helliwell because I believed Bill was a good man (like Ken), and if he replaced me, then I could run against Brad Hall in the fall. But USHPA changed the rules in the middle of the game so the members (you) wouldn't even have that choice.

For those who haven't followed the politics, the USHPA Board of Directors is controlled by a corrupt core. They thrive by herding the other Directors to participate in their deeds. They chew up "good enough guys" like Ken and Alan. If Ken and Alan tow the line, they may get appointed to some inconsequential committee chairmanship. If they don't, then they'll become persona non grata.

That's the core problem and that's why USHPA is so broken. That's why they lost their insurance. Or - more properly - that's why they lost YOUR insurance. It was your decades of membership money that had earned a fair insurance price, and USHPA squandered it protecting their buddies.

The sport of hang gliding is in a crisis now. We are losing more hang gliding pilots than we're gaining. USHPA doesn't care as long as the paragliding sector picks up the slack. How many years has it been since USHPA has had a hang gliding pilot as President? As Executive Director? Do you see USHPA making a special dedicated effort to save the sport of hang gliding? No.

Finally, I want to address the matter of my expulsion and the possibility that the SHGA might ban me from their site. I won't start with my own words, but instead I'll quote a recent post to the US Hawks by another very good man, Bill Cummings from New Mexico (see http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1813):
Bill Cummings wrote:Open letter to Region 4 directors: Ken Grubbs, Bill Belcourt,

I've decided to let my long-standing USHGA/USHPA membership expire for the following reasons:

First, none of my letters, sent to the Region #4 Directors, addressed above, were responded to, according to my wishes concerning the "Vote NO" on the expulsion of Mr. Bob Kuczewski. I may renew my membership, within three (3) years, in order to maintain my ratings, unless USHPA randomly changes the rules in order to shorten the current rating-retention grace period. Should that action take place, I will be done with USHPA permanently.

Secondly, I am, further, severely disappointed in USHPA Directors for not disciplining a Torrey Pines site instructor who abused the FAA tandem exemption while giving joy rides to children. Regarding such reckless endangerment of children, it seems obvious to me that USHPA is simply following the money in favor of heedlessly endangering children. Hanggliding/Paragliding are not carnival rides for which there is a parent-informed, reasonable acceptance of safety.

My advice is to stop catering to the business community and return to catering to the recreational pilots.

With full understanding of how insignificant my and Mr. Kuczewski's combined total of $300.00/year may be to USHPA, please consider my membership expired until USHPA does the right thing by reinstating Bob Kuczewski's exceptional standing, history,. and membership in USHPA.

Sincerely,

Bill Cummings
Pilot 30448
USHPA's abuses are causing pilots to take notice. There's a line being drawn in the sand. On USHPA's side is the power to deprive pilots of their wings for purely political reasons. On our side is a belief that our right to fly is a guarantee included in the list of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Sylmar pilots and Sylmar leadership can decide on which side of that line they want to stand. I would be disappointed if Sylmar should follow the Crestline example of banning people from the forum with no basis in rules. But that's their decision. So far, I am just as proud of Sylmar's leadership as I am of people like Bill Cummings, Joe Faust, Sam Kellner, Frank Colver, Scott Wise, Rick Masters, and the many other leaders and pilots of the US Hawks. I hope to remain just as proud of Sylmar's leadership in the future.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

jimshaw wrote:I have not talked to Ken and I don't need to because I damn well know he would not have made a false claim.
Ken Andrews writing to another pilot wrote:I’ve told Bob many times that if he would stop attacking Torrey and USHPA, then I would work to get his membership reinstated so that he could fly at USHPA sites again. So far, Bob has refused my offers.
Bob Kuczewski wrote:The focus of this topic is Ken's false claim that he would work to reverse an unjust expulsion.
I have asked Ken for the specifics of what he means by "stop attacking Torrey and USHPA". That is not a refusal. It's a request for clarification.

I rest my case.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

Bob, all that stuff about the past again? Like I said before your last rehash, take the USHPA to court to be reinstated! You have already tried your case here on the SHGA forum and got whatever support you could. Any more about this same subject from you on this forum is simply psychotic.

You said at the beginning of this thread:

"OK Ken, I'm calling your bluff. Please write up EXACTLY - and in the form of a contract - the precise terms and conditions that I would be required to abide by for you to work to get my USHPA membership reinstated so that I can fly at what you've called "USHPA sites" again. Please write this in an unambiguous and objective manner such that it would be enforceable in a court of law."

If you can't see that on so many levels this is not the way to approach being reinstated then no one can help you, i.e. to put it bluntly yours is a lost cause.

See my last writing on this thread about the other ways you have/are blowing it with SHGA members and our forum.

Bob, I know when to cut my losses. I have dragged this out too far in hopes you could bend a little, see another view, tone down the rhetoric, work again (nicely) from within.

I tried...

(As some would say in this forum "shields up"!)
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

jimshaw wrote:If you can't see that on so many levels this is not the way to approach being reinstated then no one can help you...
Hi Jim,

I wrote it that way for at least 2 reasons:

First, if my ability to fly depends on me not "attacking" USHPA or Air California Adventure (the business that runs Torrey) then I want to know EXACTLY what that means. For example, if they were to triple the fees at Torrey and I were to say "That's outrageous" would that be grounds for USHPA to expel me? I think that's reasonable to know.

Second, I believe that asking Ken to write down EXACTLY what he requires would cause him to realize what a ridiculous request he's making. I can use a similar example of USHPA tripling their fees, and me saying "That's outrageous". Does that become grounds for expulsion?

Jim, I've seen USHPA do this before. David Jebb kicked Dave Beardslee out of Torrey with no justification. Brad Hall and Jebb (both USHPA Directors) then turned around and tried to get Beardslee to sign an agreement that he wouldn't criticize Jebb's business as a condition to fly again. They had no grounds for Beardslee's expulsion in the first place, but if Dave had signed that agreement, then he'd have put himself on thin ice where a casual comment would have been a real violation of a signed written agreement. I advised him not to sign it and he didn't. Instead, Beardslee asserted his rights and he's been able to fly at Torrey ever since ... without signing a gag order.
jimshaw wrote:Any more about this same subject from you on this forum is simply psychotic.
I am sure that Sylmar pilots fall on both sides of this issue. There are some who take delight in my expulsion and there are others who recognize the injustice. I'm mostly writing to that second group who don't want their own flying to be at the "mercy" of USHPA. I'm hoping they will see the wisdom in having alternatives like the US Hawks. Calling that "psychotic" is a bit over the top.
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

I would venture to say that as a USHPA non-member soliciting for the US Hawks here on the SHGA forum - essentially the competition - is "over the top". It will be interesting to see if the SHGA elected officials continue to let you do this. You have already seen clear actions from these officials because of the rub you are causing herein.

(The line that your organization is an alternative and that USHPA members can be a member of both won't wash in the end for reasons such as lack of time, willingness, future membership fees (that must happen if things like self insurance is on the "to do" list), and a whole host of other reasons that will keep us from having dual homes.)

You have rallied your second group on this forum by now. Has any action been taken or any headway been made with this group for your cause?

I submit the length to which you have taken your fight, and definitely in the way you are doing so here on this forum, is "over the top".
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Hi Jim,

There are many sources for your auto insurance and that competition keeps prices down.

I am hoping the US Hawks safety record can help us get real insurance and not have to self insure as USHPA has done. But we will also work to use recreational land use statutes to reassure landowners. That's something USHPA doesn't do because they like the monopoly they've held through insurance.

I believe our board of directors will continue to keep US Hawks memberships and ratings free for life following the FAA model. If we offer insurance, it would be an option or possibly be through an outside organization. There's no need to require insurance for either ratings or membership.

Over our history we've had a number of chapters that have been both US Hawks and USHPA chapters. The letter from Bill Cummings above is from a member of the RGSA (Rio Grande Soaring Association) in New Mexico. They are an example of that status.

Also, USHPA chapters do not have to restrict themselves to USHPA members. I think they require 70% USHPA members the last time I checked. The US Hawks doesn't have such a requirement, and clubs can be US Hawks chapters without imposing any membership requirements on their members.

The US Hawks is all about freedom: Freedom of Choice, Freedom from Costs, Freedom from Abuses, and Freedom of Flight.

Join us. :)
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

Bob,

What prices? Our dues (insurance included) are very reasonable. No comparison to auto insurance costs. With that reasoning you are fighting a non-issue.

And why risk flying without insurance? Lawsuits will close your flying sites down, guaranteed. And the fallout will scare away other flyers not named in the lawsuits. Insurance is one of the FIRST things one sets up, personally and in business. Flying without insurance is recipe for personal financial disaster. Organizing the US Hawks without insurance has put your members at risk. This is freedom?

(It does not have to be your individual fault as a pilot to be at risk of a lawsuit. I have had a couple close calls over residences due to near misses with other flyers which, without insurance, potentially put me at personal financial risk.

Now how the hell is an insurance company going to give a fledgling group insurance in such a "dangerous" activity based on your fledgling record alone? The company will look to at the activity being insured and other solid, established organizations in your field for risk, the USHPA:)!

By the way, what fiscally and site responsible USHPA chapter will have uninsured pilots?

And if you mention recreational land use statutes to reassure landowners their eyes will just gloss over.

Also, no group of any size stays totally free for long. For the US Hawks there will be forces from outside, and within, that will put the squeeze on your fledging freedom, in due time.

Seems like it already has, judging by your own website:

Is there a Board of Directors for the US Hawks?

Not yet. The HGAA's early problems arose because different people
wanted to take the organization in different directions. That created
power struggles which cost the HGAA some of its early leadership. For
now, I'm going to take the US Hawks in the direction that I believe is
right. If people want to go along, then they're welcome. If not, there are
at least two other alternatives.

BTW, you keep talking patriotically about the Constitution, U.S. Presidents, how much freedom there is in the USA, etc. Well, try driving in the USA for long without registration and insurance and see where that gets you.

Jeez Bob, stop the solicitation! The US Hawks are a start up organization. Not having done so with insurance is very irresponsible and risky. And, who knows if you all will even survive to any great degree.

Bob, no thanks. And I propose no solicitors on this forum!
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

BobK is the reincarnated Greek Perseus.

He held his sword of rightness and safety and justice unwavering and the serpent threw itself onto the blade and severed the head of Medusa (This is allegory/simile that the RRG is the head of Medusa)

eventually with time the ushawks/reincarnated Southern California Hang gliding association will seize control of the RRG. USHGA will try to duplicate and copy these efforts to remove the winds from the sails but will find "intellectual Property" will stymie their efforts. Torrey Pines will be found to be a demonic cult of human sacrifice and exorcism will be performed, Paragliding will evolve to be a safer sport and its rise will be associated with municipalities adding more fluoride to city water thus calcifying the pineal gland thus causing bad safety decisions along with the Real Estate bubble making hang glider storage unaffordable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwqK2gn3S0[/youtube]

Black Air
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RQIWUA71vn
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Not bluffing

Post by Ken Andrews »

I had hoped that Bob and I could settle our differences without broadcasting them to the entire world, and that this nonconstructive thread would quietly fade away as it so justly deserves, but I seem to be out of luck on both counts. Given that, maybe it’s time to set the record straight, since Bob has made quite a lot of false accusations in this thread.

Bob started this thread with one of the email messages he sent to me on April 18:
OK Ken, I'm calling your bluff. Please write up EXACTLY - and in the form of a contract - the precise terms and conditions that I would be required to abide by for you to work to get my USHPA membership reinstated...
He said I had no response, but that’s false. I responded to him that evening:
When I originally made this offer to you on February 20, I said I was not interested in a “letter of the law� contract. I was looking for a radical change in style, a “spirit of the law� agreement, so that we wouldn’t need lawyers and this type of arguing in the future. If and when that sounds attractive, I’m here to help.
He missed the point. He sent more email that evening:
Does that mean I can't take pictures of Gabe Jebb kiting without a helmet?
Does that mean I can't tell the City Council about violations at Torrey?
Does that mean I can't testify in court when they injure someone?
Does that mean I can't continue to operate the US Hawks?
Does that mean I can't post references to accidents?
Bob posted above that “all of a sudden, Ken had no reply.� That’s also false. I replied to his email a few hours later:
You have the legal right to do all the things you list, as you continue to demonstrate. USHPA also has the legal right to expel you, as it has done. I’m merely suggesting that if you stop doing those things, all of them, then maybe USHPA would consider reinstating your membership. Maybe they wouldn’t; I don’t know. But I’ve offered to help if you wish to make a good-faith effort to pursue that option.
That’s not USHPA’s offer, and it’s not a bluff. It’s my personal offer, and it remains valid.

On a second topic, Bob claims that “the USHPA Board of Directors is controlled by a corrupt core.� Again, I don’t think so. At the spring board meeting, I was pretty impressed by the entire board of directors, and especially the core. It’s a group of people I’m proud to be affiliated with. I first met many of the members at that meeting in early March, and Bob and I exchanged plenty of email both before and after that. Bob knows that my views remained pretty consistent, so if the “corrupt core� tried herding me in any direction, then it evidently didn’t work.

On a third topic, Bob said, as he does so often, that "USHPA couldn’t find a single rule that I had violated during their expulsion witch hunt�. That too is false. As USHPA wrote to him at the time, the rules governing expulsions are given in the Bylaws of the USHPA, Article V, Section 4, “Termination or Suspension of Memberships� (pages 6-7 of the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), available on the USHPA website). Among other conditions, it says that a member can be expelled “based on the good faith determination by the Board of Directors … that the member … has engaged in conduct materially and seriously prejudicial to the purposes and interests of the corporation.� The purposes of the corporation are pretty well spelled out in the mission statement (page 26 of the SOPs), and include items such as positive awareness of hang gliding and paragliding, development and preservation of flying sites, and support of learning and instructors. The corporation has additional interests that are generally pretty obvious, such as management of its chapters, avoiding lawsuits and negative publicity and competition with its own members, being able to fund-raise, and whatnot.

So far as I can tell, Bob's train of thought went off the tracks at about that point, and reset from April back to February. If Bob's email messages didn’t have current dates on them, I could have sworn I had traveled back in time.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Ken, this is your statement:
"I’ve told Bob many times that if he would stop attacking Torrey and USHPA, then I would work to get his membership reinstated so that he could fly at USHPA sites again. So far, Bob has refused my offers."
"Calling your bluff" means taking you up on that offer if you show your cards. "Showing your cards" means specifying EXACTLY what is expected of me. You're the one making the offer, so you should spell it out.

As you've admitted above, USHPA could not find a single bylaw or SOP that I violated in their 222 page "rule book" so they opted to expel me based on a fuzzy "purposes and interests" of the corporation clause. That's not justice, and that's not what hang gliding pilots deserve from their association.

So once again, please spell out the exact behaviors that you want me to change in order to fly at USHPA sites.

Show your cards Ken.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Here Ken, I'll even help you get started...
In order to be eligible to fly at USHPA controlled sites, I hereby agree to ....
Just fill out the rest and we'll all see how reasonable that looks.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

While we're waiting for Ken to decide what kind of sworn oath he requires to support a pilot's right to fly, let me address his "purposes and interests of the corporation" expulsion clause.

Almost everyone has a driver's license, and yet you cannot lose your license for conduct "prejudicial to the purposes and interests of the DMV". Instead, each state has laws that you must follow. If you have been proven - in a court of law - to have broken enough of those rules you can lose your license. But you can't lose it for complaining about the DMV or criticizing the DMV or even testifying against the DMV.

The same is true of automobile insurance. There is no clause in your policy that you have to somehow "uphold the purposes and interests" of AllState or StateFarm. They can't retaliate against you for testifying honestly in one of their client's trials. The insurance commission of every state would be all over them for denying policies under retaliation.

The same is even true of the FAA. The FAA does not require insurance to fly. And they certainly don't remove pilot's ratings or licenses for testifying against other pilots or even testifying against the FAA itself. The FAA has clearly defined rules and if you break them badly enough, they'll pull your ticket. But they do not remove pilot's licenses for political reasons.

Yet somehow USHPA requires us to remain loyal to the "purposes and interests of the corporation" in order to be members of their little club?

Now if USHPA were some back yard bridge club, then I wouldn't care whether they required loyalty to the "purposes and interests of the corporation" or not. But USHPA currently holds a monopoly on hang gliding and paragliding in the United States and they are abusing that monopoly in an anti-competitive manner. Furthermore, their "purposes and interests of the corporation" clause clearly suppresses the very kinds of whistle-blowing needed to keep our sports safe. Yet anyone who speaks out against safety violations at Torrey gets expelled. How sustainable is that?

It's obvious at this point that the "self regulation" of hang gliding and paragliding by USHPA is so badly broken and corrupted that it won't be easily fixed. Unless Ken can pull a rabbit out of his hat, I don't see any solution other than healthy competition or a takeover by the FAA. I'm trying to do the first, but I'm not opposed to the second either at this point.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCud8H7z7vU[/youtube]

What exactly is he supposed to change?
his tone? his religion?

Mark G. Forbes wrote:
http://ozreport.com/1451574481
It has always been the case, but I'm hoping that it will be more clear to everyone…this is OUR money we're spending, every time somebody screws up and gets hurt, or hurts somebody else. It's not some far-away insurance company. It's ALL OF US, and we should all understand that. If you see somebody about to do something dumb/sketchy/marginal…call them out on it! Their screw-up is going to cost YOU money. Take ownership! Don't wait for an accident to happen to say "I told you so". If there's a problem brewing, head it off before it costs us all a fortune. We need to own the problems, and deal with them. That's how we're going to save money on insurance.
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

Jeez, what outside crap on OUR forum. I hope we wake up soon and rid ourselves of this crap.

We have a know outcast bogarting our forum ad nauseam and agitating us (practically shoving down our throats) to make his wishes come true.

Anyone else besides him care about his dreamto have the Hawks fly our site sometime in the distant future if the Hawks ever get insurance?

We have had to take energy and effort to start a "Politics" section and an "ignore" button because of his rhetoric.

But, we have him still pushing another competitive organization down our throats based on supposition alone. Suppose the new RRG is required. Suppose the Hawks are able to provide insurance. Suppose the Hawks are cheaper.

And if the Hawks ever do get access to our site, we will get all the baggage and crap that comes with it, in person, not just written at arms length here in our forum.

And he is barely hanging on here on our forum to begin with!

LET ME KNOCK DOWN THE COMPETITION IDEA right here and now.

1) We are NOT a company trying to make a profit in a capitalist society.

2) We ARE a RECREATIONAL ORGANIZATION. We want to RECREATE, not have someone beating into us on OUR forum their dream to one day use OUR SITE.

3) The vast major of us are HAPPY with the USHPA and SHGA - the dues, laws and organizations.

4) The Hawks DO NOT have the means necessary to propose using our site i.e. no insurance.

5) Agitating us here on this forum IS NOT the way to go about this. Talk to the BOARD WHEN YOU HAVE INSURANCE.

I strongly propose we send Bob and his rhetoric (and personal attacks) packing instead of allowing him to fill this forum AND US with agitation. Let him go and make the Hawks a viable choiceFIRST and then approach the Board with his wishes.

Jim
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Feel free to use the IGNORE button.

Bob is keeping it in the politics area so seems that he's keeping it out of the general hang gliding topics.

You don't have to read his posts.
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

Thanks for your comment Chip. Appreciate it.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Jim, I think you've double posted to this topic and the "kick Bob out" topic. I've replied to your post over there. Please feel free to respond there as well.
dhmartens wrote:What exactly is he supposed to change?
his tone? his religion?
Very well said ... and much more concise than my typically and unfortunately long replies.
dhmartens wrote:Mark G. Forbes wrote:
http://ozreport.com/1451574481
If there's a problem brewing, head it off before it costs us all a fortune. We need to own the problems, and deal with them. That's how we're going to save money on insurance.
Mark Forbes knows very well that I reported problems at USHPA well in advance of the Hamby accident at Torrey. While I was Director I reported a very similar incident where a student on radio did not have the skills to top land and ended up crashing into parked hang gliders. Fortunately, he was not hurt. I reported this to USHPA as a Regional Director and yet USHPA refused to apply any oversight to the operations there. A year or so later a similar incident caused the lawsuit where I was asked to be an expert witness. USHPA's insurance company settled that law suit for what I believe was a large sum of money (USHPA won't say), and USHPA's insurance was cancelled later that year.

I find it outrageous that Mark Forbes would know all of that and have the nerve to say that "We need to own the problems and deal with them". Mark Forbes led the charge in blaming and expelling me for testifying to the truth, and yet he talks about "owning" the problems. With "leadership" like that, Sylmar should be seriously considering alternatives.

Maybe someone should ask Mark Forbes exactly what he has done to ensure the Hamby accident isn't repeated again at Torrey.
Bob Kuczewski

Re: Not bluffing

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Back on the topic of calling USHPA's bluff ...

This was Ken's original statement:
Ken Andrews wrote:"I’ve told Bob many times that if he would stop attacking Torrey and USHPA, then I would work to get his membership reinstated so that he could fly at USHPA sites again. So far, Bob has refused my offers."
This was my reply:
Bob Kuczewski wrote:OK Ken, I'm calling your bluff. Please write up EXACTLY - and in the form of a contract - the precise terms and conditions that I would be required to abide by for you to work to get my USHPA membership reinstated...
Ken is a nice guy - and a very smart guy - but to date, he has not been able to figure out a way to tell me exactly what I must do without it looking ridiculous ("Bob can't criticize USHPA and be a member of USHPA", "Bob can't criticize Air California Adventure and be a member of USHPA", "Bob can't speak before the City Council and be a member of USHPA", "Bob can't testify in court and be a member of USHPA"). So Ken is in a bind. He didn't put himself in that bind. USHPA did.

I write software almost all day long. Whenever I find myself in a situation where there is no good way to write a piece of code, I force myself to step back and re-evaluate my general approach.

Ken's general approach has been that the people running USHPA are good folks. Yet he finds himself in a position where he can't really write down what I have to do because it would seem outrageous. I think Ken needs to step back from his assumption that "USHPA is all good folks" and consider the possibility that the expulsion was totally political and done out of malice and retaliation. He should then summon the courage to stand up for a pilot in his region.

The one thing that would take the wind out of the US Hawks sails more than anything else is ... USHPA doing the right thing.

Ken, have you come up with your agreement yet stating what I have to do to be a member of USHPA? Just spell it out. If it's reasonable I'll be happy to accept it.
Bob Kuczewski

Legacy

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Any word on the agreement yet Ken?
USHPA Reinstatement Agreement wrote:n order to be eligible to fly at USHPA controlled sites, I hereby agree to ....
Maybe you're running it past Tim Herr before you can post it?

While we're waiting, here's what Regional Director Brad Hall tried to get David Beardslee to sign in order to fly at Torrey again. It seems reasonable when you read it casually. But it amounts to a gag order that would have given David Jebb the right to justify the expulsion of David Beardslee for being critical of Jebb. Read it critically, and pay special attention to items 4 and 7:
Brad Hall wrote:FLIGHT PRIVILEDGE AGREEMENT

The following is intended as a means to restore to David Beardsley the opportunity to once again fly hang gliders at Torrey Pines Flight Park. Both the Management and David must agree to all points listed for this agreement to be valid. The spirit of cooperation and fairness is the essential component of this document.

1. Both parties agree to put all past disputes aside and begin anew. David will be viewed as a new, qualified pilot and extended the same courtesy as any other pilot.

2. David will agree to abide by all rules and regulations posted and/or explained to him by the Management. The rules and regulations will be the same for all pilots flying the site. This will include, but not be limited to, paying daily flight fees, signing in the log book, and signing all current waivers. This will be done prior to any flight. Any violation of said procedures will be viewed as just cause for suspension of flying privileges.

3. The Management and his employees will agree to not harass David in any manor, providing he is following established procedures.

4. David will agree to refrain from any public displays or discussions that disparage the Management, its business practices, or its employees.

5. Both parties agree that should any conflict arise, it will be discussed in a calm and respectful manor out of view of the public. Every effort will be made by both parties to come to a fair and equitable resolution of any dispute.

6. A copy of this document will be kept on file and be readily accessible.

7. David agrees that his main focus is to fly the site and have fun. He will refrain from any and all activities that are counter productive to the site, other pilots and/or the management.

8. It is understood that the final authority in all flight operations and Gliderport activities is the Flight Director.
Dave Beardslee never signed Brad Hall's agreement and he was flying at Torrey within days of my election as Regional Director back in 2008 (even before I officially took office as Regional Director). I didn't make Beardslee sign anything. Instead, we walked in to Torrey together and asserted our right to fly. We weren't opposed. Dave Beardslee has been able to fly at Torrey ever since.

The Torrey gang tried for years to find a way to keep me from flying there. They tried having me arrested on false charges - that failed because the courts would not uphold an injustice. They tried filing a restraining order on false claims - that failed. because the courts would not uphold an injustice. Then they filed false claims with USHPA - USHPA's kangaroo court was happy to uphold an injustice.

Ken, when I was elected as Director, I stood up for the injustice against David Beardslee and he can fly at Torrey to this very day. I am proud of that legacy. What will your legacy be?
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I informed BobK at the Otto 45 meet that I would begin declassifying UFOs so Ken Andrews would be forced to work an incredible amount of overtime over the next year so he would be able to know what its like to not be able to fly for a year.

So I officially fire the first volley(many, many more to follow).

Ken, BobK has ceased attacking USHPA and Torrey, please live up to your end of the bargain and apply pressure to restore BobK's membership and insurance.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBE-32lsh6E[/youtube]