dhmartens banned?

If your topic lands here, you either put it here yourself or one of the moderators thought it likely too polarizing a subject to stay in the General Discussion area
Bob Kuczewski

dhmartens banned?

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Excuse me, but I saw a post on the US Hawks by dhmartens that he's been banned from the SHGA forum.

Is that true? Can anyone share the circumstances?

Thanks.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
JD

Post by JD »

What'd you do Bob? Threaten to sue? ImageImageImage Just kidding good buddy. Anyone in the know wish to inform us on what happened to our dear Doug? ImageImageImage

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Doug has not been banned

Post by Ken Andrews »

Doug has not been banned.

The forum administrators must wage a constant battle against spam, and once or twice, we've cast too wide a net and unintentionally caught a non-spammer. I don't believe we've done so here. If Doug has any trouble with the forum, we're here to help.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

As Ken stated, Doug has NOT been banned from our forum. This would require a majority vote from out board of directors and there has never been even a suggestion to ban Doug.

I spoke with our website administrator, Jeff Chipman. He assures me that this error will be corrected before the end of this day and I ask him to reply to this thread with the root cause of the error once corrected.
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

This happened to me once. One of my IP addresses got caught up in the list of SHGA spam IP addresses. Easily fixed.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Thanks for chiming in Mike. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the same issue with Doug, but he's going to need to work with us so we can get it resolved.

IP address from the specific place where he's getting the ban will be best.

If I recall, I think Mile's was at work.

I did take a look at the hawks site and we're getting a pretty good shake over there as most understand that we're mostly adults over here at SHGA and we have some pretty thick skin (well some more than others).

I'm sure we'll get it resolved, so the conspiracies theorist can put down their pitch forks for now.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

BudRob wrote:As Ken stated, Doug has NOT been banned from our forum. This would require a majority vote from out board of directors and there has never been even a suggestion to ban Doug.
Due process ... just as it should be. My hat is once again tipped in respect for the good folks running the SHGA. I only wish USHPA, Crestline, and Funston were managed so well.
Chip wrote:I'm sure we'll get it resolved, so the conspiracies theorist can put down their pitch forks for now.
I've been banned from a few forums and it generally happens without any official notice (or due process). One day you go to sign in, and you get a message like Doug posted. It gives you a sickening feeling in your gut. If it's never happened to you, then it may by hard to understand. But there's a reason that the First Amendment was first on the colonist's minds. Free speech is important to people, and that's why we honor it on the US Hawks and that's why we speak up for others who are banned. That's what friends do for one another, and it's a pleasure when it's so easily resolved as in this case.

Once again, thanks to the good folks at Sylmar. On Doug's behalf let me say ... "Live long and prosper".
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I'm back. I got caught in a spam filter, and did some self searching.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOUC_T6Hi8[/youtube]
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

dhmartens wrote:I'm back. I got caught in a spam filter, and did some self searching.
Sounds like Scotty preserving himself in the transporter buffer.

Welcome back. :D
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

I'm posting this here because I hope it's another mix-up as with Doug's case.

It appears that I can't post to the main forum at this time. I tried to post a "Happy Birthday" message to Larry's topic, but I found that I was unable to post outside the "Politics" section. I tried a few other topics (outside the "Politics" section) as well and found myself unable to post.

I am wondering if I might have been restricted for this interchange:
Loren wrote:It's too bad USHPA and the hang gliding community in general has its head stuck in the sands of the past on the issue of collision avoidance. This is the 21st century. Because of the requirement to see and avoid faster aircraft that can come from any direction, low-speed ultralight aircraft need, and should have, should have electronic assistance for the task of collision avoidance. I've been saying for quite awhile that we need, in addition to GPS, transponder readers and software that can alert us, not to every aircraft, but specifically to those that are headed toward us. Such capabilities can and should be integrated with our existing instruments.
rebardan wrote:USHPA has and IS aware of all of this and has been for years. What is known is that there is no easy solution to the issue. Technology is advancing rapidly. Fortunately, big money is being spent by big companies and technology is going to be able to move laterally into our very small realm. See and avoid is by nature a weak form of avoidance, especially for HG vs airliners on approach. I have mentioned integrating the next gen technology to two of the largest instrument mfgrs. I dont foresee them leading the way but eagerly await a smaller manufacturer to break in with an integrated system that suits our needs and hopefully prevents "the big one".
I quoted Dan's first line ("USHPA has and IS aware of all of this and has been for years.") and added this:
Bob Kuczewski wrote:Yes, just as they had been aware of the problems that led to the loss of pilot's insurance for years ... and did nothing until it was too late.
I think the comment was relevant to the topic because it suggests a systemic problem at USHPA. I also don't think my comment was any further "out of line" or critical of USHPA than Loren's comment that "It's too bad USHPA and the hang gliding community in general has its head stuck in the sands of the past on the issue of collision avoidance."

As I said, I hope this is another mix-up, but I'd appreciate hearing about it either way.

Thanks.
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Bob not banned

Post by Ken Andrews »

No Bob, you have not been banned. Like Doug did, you might check to see if you got caught in a spam filter, and do some self searching.

The forum administrators must wage a constant battle against spam, and once or twice, we've cast too wide a net and unintentionally caught a non-spammer. I don't believe we've done so here. If the trouble persists, any further information would helpful, such as the error message, the time of the problem, and your IP address.
Bob Kuczewski

Re: Bob not banned

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Ken Andrews wrote:No Bob, you have not been banned.
I could tell that I hadn't been banned, but I do know that some versions of phpBB can restrict members from certain forums. I had been unable to post to several forums outside of the politics section and was unable to do so.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks.