Bailout Just North of Gavina St

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
JD

Bailout Just North of Gavina St

Post by JD » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:47 pm

I safely landed my Icaro2000 RX2-190 there Saturday assisted by a fairly powerful drogue chute following a final glide of 1.7 miles at a less than 6:1 glide angle. The flush continued all the way to Gavina St and was so bad that I couldn't safely get across the naked power lines so I quickly doubled back and executed a safe downhill landing in a confined area due to the set of utility wires and poles that cross the graded dirt. Only the North end of this 700' long field is usable due to the poles and wires. Even worse is the fact the field slopes downhill. It may look tempting but I would not suggest landed there until you have walked the length and breadth of the field and noted the hazards I've mentioned above. There are others I haven't mentioned including the potential rotor coming off the berm below the houses and the lack of safe overshoots in case the deck is thermic. Paragliders reported having landed there but they have effective glide path control and can utilize very small fields. I have a powerful drogue to assist me or would have just bailed out by the dam. After I landed, I carried my gear 500' until I was near Gavina St. A local (John) on his Honda Grom motorbike gave me a ride back to the LZ and Chuck who lives in the house on the corner of the field and Gavina unlocked to gate for me so I could drive in to load my wing. I made certain to lock it correctly when I pulled out. I didn't take any photos from where I landed and there is no video. I shot some images from where I set the glider down and captured my glide path Google Earth.