Letting others know your OK

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Chip
Site Admin

Letting others know your OK

Post by Chip »

Yesterday we had a pilot land out just south of the volcano. The glider did not move for a long time. On my approach to the LZ I decided I would come over low to see if I could spot any movement. Sure enough I saw somebody crushing bushes to make it easier to breakdown.

In the LZ I learned it was Dino. Once that was the case I was less concerned as I know he's a very competent pilot and can pull off that kind of landing.

George Stebbins reminded me of something that I've heard before but probably bears repeating.

When landing out and the landing is in an area that my cause others above you concern. One way to alleviate the concern is place your harness on the top of your sail. This "should" let other pilots know that your safe and moving around.

Good words of advice.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Thanks go to Greg Angsten for going to rescue Dino. And thanks also to those (at least two, maybe more) pilots who radio-talked Greg to the right general area from the air.

I am glad he is OK, as I'm sure are we all.

His "landing" was just North of the "new" houses that are just up-hill from Santiago Estates.

I don't know for sure, but it appeared that he was coming back low, and got trapped behind a low hill and couldn't make it over the hill to the landing area. Even if that isn't what happened, it is something to think about when you are back there. Always make sure you have a way out, or you are too low to be there!

And Chip is right. Put your harness (or shirt or XC bag or something) on top of the glider. Or move the glider. Then others can see that you are up and moving around. I considered landing (as, I'm sure did others), because I expected a helicopter rescue any minute. The glider didn't move. Nobody could see the pilot walking around. The glider sat there, unmoving for at least 30 minutes before someone (Chip) was able to see the pilot. By then, Greg Angsten was just about to the glider. We would all have been significantly less stressed if we'd known he was uninjured.

It is just good manners to let your fellow pilots know you are OK. And it might save you some embarrassment and/or rescue fees too, by avoiding an unneeded call to 911.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George