Mid-air at Torrey Jan. 15 '06

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Christian

Mid-air at Torrey Jan. 15 '06

Post by Christian »

From Tad Hurst on the Crestline Forum:

There was a mid-air collision yesterday, and it was serious but without injury. In all of the traffic, two hang gliders collided while approaching each other. One pilot tried to turn, and the top of his glider contacted the corner of the control frame of the other glider. The top sail was ripped, and the carbon fiber cross bar was broken on the right side.

There were still some connecting fibers, and the cross bar did not entirely sever. This glider went into a spin, which recovered as the pilot was reaching for his reserve.

The other glider was not damaged. Both pilots landed safely on top.

Official reports will be filed. It is exceptionally lucky that that there were no injuries nor even a reserve ride from this incident.

Tad
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

This is the second mid-air in a little more than one month. This is the situation that causes the most anxiety for me, as it is SO dependent on everyone else being predictable and dependable in their behavior.

Maybe this is a good time, what with the crowded flying season around the corner, to run through the right-of-way rules and recommendations one more time...

Safety Director?
Christian

Post by Christian »

That's a good point. Mybe it's worth mentioning the emphasis, in airplane flying, on "clearing your turns." Over ten years I had about 150 hours of dual instruction in single-engine planes, and anybody with an instrument rating has had this drilled into his head. One CFI used to punch me in the arm, hard, if I didnt look first.

Before any bank, you swiveled your head. I'n a high wing plane, you actually banked a little the wrong way first, to lift the wing so you could see under it. Failure to do this was considered a grave error.

Airplanes are never as close to each other as we are. And it is harder to clear a turn on a glider. You really have to make an effort to crane your neck. The guy behind should see your eyes--if not, you didn't see him. I admit I don't always do it. It's a pain in the neck.

A good reminder for me.