Fatality at Tocumwal

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
©hris

Fatality at Tocumwal

Post by ©hris »

There is a brief description of the account on the oz report and I am sure more will come. Apparently I was the only person to see the accident unfold.

I had just decided not to take my glider out to the tow line because the wind was gusting to around 25mph and the CU's were poppin everywhere (It was 3PM) and I figured the lift, based on my flights here the days prior, to be from 800fpm to 1800fpm (I was in thermals that strong the day before). So with it being the strongest time of the day I felt it was not safe for me because I am a mountain pilot - not a tow pilot. So I sat down the runway from everyone else and watched tows.

The pilot who was killed was flying a king-posted glider and might not have had as much experience as he should have for the conditions. He made the decision to fly anyway.

It is a real bummer to witness our sport go wrong and its a horrible thing to see. I will be praying for his family tonight.

MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS. IF IT LOOKS WRONG AND FEELS WRONG TO YOU - BREAK DOWN AND FLY TOMORROW. :cry:
stebbins

Live to fly another day

Post by stebbins »

Chris and I often disagree, but I cannot thank him enough for his observation about living to fly another day.

This past summer at Big Spring, I was on the flight line on a day that looked iffy. It seemed ok at the moment, so I was lining up to tow.

As I waited in line, I watched the wind-mills on the nearby low hills. They were turning slowly and facing South. A large cloud (incipient T-storm) was building beyond them. As I watched, and moved forward in the line, I noticed that the windmills (huge three-bladed carbon-fiber things) were now turning furiously, and facing East. The gust-front was on the way.

I stepped out of line, to the puzzled look of other pilots. I told them about the windmills. I carried my glider to the front of the line along the edge of the runway and told the meet director about the windmills. I then took my glider to the hangar, leaving my harness on the tarmac.

As I returned from the hangar, the meet director cancelled the task. There were pilots in the air. There were many pilots in the tow line. Before I made it back to the tow line to get my harness, the wind went from a gentle breeze to 20-30+ mph, and switched to cross the runway at 80 or 90 degrees.

I was safe. My glider was safe. I ran to help others pack up because the wind continued to increase. They were having lots of trouble packing up. There were many pilots who had "interesting" landings.

While it wasn't one of the worst gust-fronts I have seen, I was just tickled to pieces that I had decide to "live to fly another day". It could easily have been otherwise. How many competititions can you win, or miles can you fly, or how much airtime can you get if you are dead? I'd guess that the answer is zero.

Great decision making, Chris!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George