Kagel Incident Sunday

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
greblo

Kagel Incident Sunday

Post by greblo »

Rico Lubrico flew into the steep rocky section below the 2nd bowl and was airlifted to Holy Cross Hospital today. He has a cracked L2 Lumbar vertibrae.

LA County Fire Department Air Ops did a great job and all our club members cooperated greatly. I'll get Rico's phone number posted soon so you can call and cheer him up. He's a great guy that always has a smile.

Joe
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
abinder

Post by abinder »

Thanks for the info Joe. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Allen
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I'm deeply saddened to hear this :o :cry: , Best wishes for an expedited recovery Rico.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Heal quickly and fully, Rico.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Oh no... He and I were at the same level until I got too busy to fly. I hope he is doing ok and best wishes for a full recovery...

Marc
OSCAR

Numbers

Post by OSCAR »

Anybody Know Ricos phone Number or room Number at the Hospital :?
Last edited by OSCAR on Tue May 04, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSCAR

Re: Numbers

Post by OSCAR »

OSCAR wrote:Anybody Know Ricos phone Number or room Number at the Hospital :?:
addicted2climbing

Any Update on Rico? Hope he is doing OK.

Marc
OP

Post by OP »

Joe, Updates when you know of them. Ask if he can have visitors or anything else.
greblo

Post by greblo »

Rico's wife allowed me to see him on Friday afternoon and he's doing great.
He's had some facial surgery to repair a broken cheek bone and he's awaiting surgery for his back.

He feels very lucky that he was not more greatly injured. He remembers the entire accident and acknowledges his desire to try harder to stay up that day and his surprise at hitting so much sink.

His spirits are very high and he can't wait to come out and visit his friends when he can. His wife will let me know when she'll allow him to have visitors, but right now she just wants him to rest.

Hopefully we can all learn to have great respect for turbulence and refrain from flying too close to the terrain. Andy and I are very close to further defining and restricting low hour novice flights near the ridge. Clearly that would have prevented this accident.
Last edited by greblo on Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
ALVARO.P.

Post by ALVARO.P. »

I hope he gets better soon.
please let me know when he'll be able to take visitors, or if he has an e-mail.

Best to Rico. :)
Rico

Post by Rico »

Hello everybody !!!!Praise the LORD I'm alive and well. It has been 1 month and 2 days since my accident. I'm so sorry, I can't write to you sooner, because i can't sit down infront of the computer, coz my back is killing me. I'm a little bit okay now, the pain is subsiding down. It' gettig better every week. I can walk 2 blocks now but my back starts killing me at the end of the day, so i kinda made it shorter now than 2 blocks, taking it easy. less pain at the end of the day that way. I di the walking twice a day: 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. I've been dooing squatting, calf exercise and stretchings. I had a broken nose, cheekbone, eye rim and L2 vertebra. I now have titanium plating for reinforment in my cheekbone area and they fused five of my vertebrae to reinforce my L2 vertebra. The doctor said it will be less flexiblity for me but other than that I'll be good as new.
I want to take this opportunity too, to thank all the people who supported me and prayed for me and still doing so. Thank you at the bottom of my heart who helped retrieved my glider and flight gears. May Almighty God Bless You All !!!
One of these days, when i can travel already, I will visit and say HI to all.
and who knows? maybe I'll fly with you again....NOT !!!!!! he he.....

God bless
RICO
Rico

Ricos contact

Post by Rico »

Hey guys,
I forgot to tell you that I'm home already. Alot better recovering here at home than in the hospital. I feel normal and not sick anymore here at home. makes my recovery even faster. You can reach me at my cell phone 310 980 6709.
be safe out there ok?
God bless you ALL!!!

rico
Rico

Ricos contact

Post by Rico »

Hey guys,
I forgot to tell you that I'm home already. Alot better recovering here at home than in the hospital. I feel normal and not sick anymore here at home. makes my recovery even faster. You can reach me at my cell phone 310 980 6709.
be safe out there ok?
God bless you ALL!!!

rico
Rico

Ricos contact

Post by Rico »

Hey guys,
be safe out there ok?
God bless you ALL!!!

rico
addicted2climbing

Hello Rico,

Glad to hear your back home and recovering. I was sad to hear of your accident and was quite worried form what I had heard. I took many months off of flying due to work, but last week was my first time back. Hope to see you out at Kagel if for anything to say hello to everyone.

Oh on another note, I took your schematic and finaly built my headset and I must have done something wrong since my mic is not working. My in ear speaker nad my ptt seem to work, but no mic.. I may look it over ot try and see where I went wrong. Perhaps my mic is bad.

Take care,

Marc
Rico

Post by Rico »

Thanks marc,
welcome back to flying. I haven't seen you for a long time. we missed you. Hey word of advise; dont't rush yourself in getting longer flying hours. it's better 10 min. flight and land safely than longer flying hours and you crash on the mountain and not fly for a long time or not ever.
I got impatient of always getting 7-10 min. flight everytime. I was rushing myself to thermal longer. my longest flight ever was 40. min. i could have stayed up longer but i have a dizzyness issue so i have to land. and highest altitude ever was 4700 MSL. I got addicted to flying once i reached those new hight and time. I became more aggressive and fearless that i ventured out. look where i am now in bed. take your time to learn. safety, safety, safety...first. do your thermalling as much as possible away from the mountain. it's so unpredictable near the main ridge. dont venture out until JOE or ANDY think you are ready for next course. always listen and implant in your mind what they are always advising. if you are in dounbt, don't do it. OK.
about the the your headset, come by here anytime, I won't be going anywhere for 3 mos. anyway. I'll be more than willing to troubleshoot your headset. I have all the tools and equipment to test it here. give me a call first. you know my number right ?

see ya,
rico
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

Hello Rico,

It's good to hear from you! We've been wondering how you're doing. I'm glad to hear that things are getting better. I'm sorry we won't get to fly together anytime soon. We miss you in the LZ. Get well.
Tom
OSCAR

Rico

Post by OSCAR »

Hey Rico , I glad to hear your doing well in your recovery , I Know its painful but you really need to do your exercises or else your back will lock up on you later in life. I'm happy that you are out of the hospital and back home. I hope to see you around the LZ in the near future ,until then take care .

Oscar
JD

Post by JD »

Hi Rico,
I don't believe we ever met in person but I'm certain that we would enjoy each other's company. I was thinking about your crash while I was buzzing the third bowl at Kagel yesterday and here you are on the forum. Your keyboard fingers must have been burning. I went 28 years without hang gliding but flew R/C sailplanes extensively during the first 5 of those years and it was very satisfying and also taught me much of what I know about thermalling today. With your tech skills it would be a breeze. I wish you well on your road to recovery!
Cheers, Jonathan