The Day My Camera Fell Off!

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
JD

The Day My Camera Fell Off!

Post by JD »

Hey Sylmar pilots. This is for everyone whether or not you were on on launch before 1 PM on Saturday, 3/5/2011 when this happened. I use 108# test braided Dacron fishing line to secure my camera boom against accidental detachment. Here's how it looked when my boom went bye-bye just 90 seconds after lift-off. I was still able to salvage some interesting angles from my flight by slowing things down to 20% of normal speed. Please keep a safety line on your precious gear!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LnYanq26wc[/youtube]
BTW - That's Chris A. w/ me in the beginning and Frank H. at the end.
OP

Post by OP »

In the bracket I've been designing, I errored on the side of it just falling to earth. I wouldn't want the dangling camera disturbing my flight.

It looks like the camera fallen from the magnetic base didn't cause any handling problems.

Another interesting video. Keep them coming.
JD

Post by JD »

OP wrote:.....It looks like the camera fallen from the magnetic base didn't cause any handling problems....
Luckily it wasn't swinging around. It just hung in one position and the camera shook. I barely noticed any effect on the glider handling. It's an FAR violation to drop stuff. It could also hit a person or cause property damage. I was simply unusually cautious on landing. Ask Jay Devorak how it looked.

Now I know not to mount my newly modified boom so it straddles the side wire. I think that's what made it pop off.