Saturdays Close Call / Midair on video.

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
addicted2climbing

Saturdays Close Call / Midair on video.

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hello All,

I was pretty sure I had the midair on film and went through my footage and I did. I have uploaded it in 3D, but for those without glasses the 3D can be turned off. Just click on the 3D icon and it can be turned off and it will be in 2D. I dont have any editing software yet, but when I do I may be able to zoom in on the midair more.

This was a very close call and could have easily been a dissaster.

Here is the Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnQeD2RAnI

Marc
JD

Post by JD »

"DOH!"
Steve90266

Mid Air

Post by Steve90266 »

There were a number of factors which increased the risk that day. Among them:

1. A greater number of inexperienced H-2 pilots in the sky at one time, some who did not have a good handle on ridge soaring right-of way rules.

2. A low ceiling that was getting lower. Pilots seemed willing to fly in and out of the clouds in order to stay in the lifty conditions along the ridge.

What pilots need to keep in mind is that once in clouds, even if YOUR visibility is OK, other people may not be able to see you, ESPECIALLY if you are flying a white glider. And of course, flying into clouds is a clear violation of our flight rules.

All in all, we are lucky that this mid-air did not end tragically. This was literally a "brush with death" and it scares the bejeezes out of me.

Let's continue to keep Mr. Death at bay by exercising good judgement, and keeping our heads on a constant swivel, especially when the skies are crowded.
Steve Murillo