Accident Sunday 1/15/12

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
greblo

Accident Sunday 1/15/12

Post by greblo »

Sadly, Joe Petrosian (Army Joe) was injured when he experienced a side wire failure as he pulled out of a dive over the lz on Sunday afternoon. The glider entered 2 or 3 left 360s that he was unable to stop and he crashed into the river bed where he was assisted by club members until paramedics arrived. Joe was transported to Holy Cross Providence Hospital in Mission Hills where he is at this time of writing.

I'm told that Joe is able to see visitors so I hope many will drop by and see him. More info will follow I'm sure.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Just called Holy Cross and learned that Joe is in post-surgical recovery. They advised I call back in about an hour at which time he should have a room assignment.
chadness

Post by chadness »

report from Joe at 5:52 pm. He is in room 20350 at Holly Cross (818-365-8051) recovering from surgery. If the x-rays look OK he might be discharged tomorrow.

Kathy and Jim were there in person when I called. Sounds like he is being well taken care of and is in decent spirits despite the situation.

Thought and wishes to him for a quick and complete recovery.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Its room 2350. I just talked to him he sounds good.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Joe is in good spirits, no pain, since his surgery to repair a cracked shoulder socket and looks to be in great shape, considering. He is bruised and has a raspberry on his forehead but no other major injuries. He did have a concussion and does not remember anything between his impact and the paramedics beginning to work on him but remembers all the details leading up to the crash.

Recovery is expected to take about 6 weeks. He's considering (sadly) replacement of his wing.

If the doctor llikes what he sees in Joe's X-rays, he may be released tomorrow evening. Until then, he may get a bit antsy, so give Holy Cross a call [ (818) 365 8051] and ask for his room.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

so he only had one surgery? that's awesome news!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Joe Faust

Post by Joe Faust »

Speedy full recovery wished for you!