Unsafe & Safe X/C Landing Approaches

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
JD

Unsafe & Safe X/C Landing Approaches

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXa3ZxQM2zw[/youtube]
4-20-2012 - Pilot and glider escaped unscathed but not unpuckered. Please follow proper landing procedure and technique, especially when landing out while flying X/C.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

:o
OP

Post by OP »

Flying at Kagel 99% of the time, you lose the ability to set up an approach. Just like I occupationally spend a day at the beach to tune up my flare. Maybe visiting a different site should be also regularly done.
JD

Post by JD »

OP wrote:.....I occupationally spend a day at the beach.... Maybe visiting a different site should be also regularly done.
Occupationally? I wish my employer would pay for me to spend a day at the beach tuning up my landings. :P :lol:

But seriously OP, you can use The Beehives, Dino's Plateau and the Big-T Wash for out-landing practice. The base of the Dam is another excellent spot. Avoid using the Olive View Hospital empty lot as many have been injured there.

Another great spot is Marshall Peak. There are a whole slough of places to land out within 10 miles of Marshall. It's easy to go XC and land out from there on a Sport 2. I'd be happy to try and compile a KML of places that me and others have landed out. I cannot guarantee their current condition but that's an aspect of X/C flying. Not knowing.
OP

Post by OP »

Occupationally?

Best auto correct ever. Thanks google chrome extension.