Mike Ivey's Arm

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I think you could do better, Dave...

Thinking of Opie and Mike, there have been many great pairings:

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Starsky and Hutch
Ren and Stimpy
Beavis and Butthead
Bonnie and Clyde

Perhaps most appropriate: Rocky and Bulwinkle. You all can guess who is which.

I've also noticed that many of the best names don't have anything to do with the named; think Black Dog and Led Zeppelin.

In this vein, Teaser and the Firecat is strangely fitting.

No, I haven't been drinking tonight.
OP

Post by OP »

jcflies wrote:good news, OP, glad you escaped a front zipper! I dithered for for a fully OPiated week as to whether or not have surgery..
My surgery story... (everyone loves to hear stories about other sick people)

I awake from anesthesia in the OR. Another anesthesia doc, other than the one i met, comes in and explains that they forgot to do the "Nerve Block" before the surgery. He uses an ultrasound machine and a large needle, fishing around for some time he says "that ought to do it." He missed the nerve. With no nerve block in place, required for orthopedic surgery, they decide to use narcotics in its place. Was an out patient procedure, i 'get' to stay more days fully narcoticed in the hospital. So glad I went with the full PPO at work and not the "health savings account" they tried so hard to talk me into. The PPO was something like 8$/paycheck more. Well worth it.
Malury

Post by Malury »

Mike,
If you are following this post, I offer my full sympathy on your accident. Like you and OP, I also had a broken humerus with surgery. Yours was much worse than mine!

You must be really hurting right about now. Mine was on the left side so trying to open the car door was torture. Putting on a jacket was hell too. I'm over all of that now.

I hope you heal well and come fly with us when you are ready. Just don't rush it.
Malury

Post by Malury »

And Jim,
You are a fine mentor. I learned a lot on the day I chose to follow you to the 1500. Like recognizing my own limitations and flying within them. Like being responsible for my own choices in flight. Like having an alternate LZ in mind and using it.
It's fun to needle you about it but it was a valuable day for me after all.
MikeI

Post by MikeI »

Thanks for the kind words Malury. It's not really hurting anymore, just a major inconvenience. It's kind of funny, because overall it looks like a pretty low speed collision, so it seems strange that my arm ended up as busted as it is. At the same time I'm grateful it didn't turn out worse - which it certainly could have.
Steve90266

Your arm

Post by Steve90266 »

Hey Mike,

Just checking in. How's the arm healing? OP made his flying return last week end at Big Sur. He seemed none the worse for wear. Hope to see you back in the air soon.

P.S.-Just picked up my new Sport 2. We need to turn some circles together!
Steve Murillo
MikeI

Re: Your arm

Post by MikeI »

I'm still around, just been busy lately. Plan on starting flights at the beach next weekend to get my arm back into flying shape.

Looking forward to getting back in the air.

Mike
Steve90266

Mike I's arm

Post by Steve90266 »

Good news. Look forward to seeing you back in the air! Got my new Sport 2. We'll have to turn some circles together soon!
Steve Murillo
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hey Steve,
You should have mentors crawling out of the woodwork to help you with this glider. I'm first in line. We're gonna have such fun, Steve!

I hope you've been practicing your RLF approaches...
JD

Re: Your arm

Post by JD »

MikeI wrote:I'm still around, just been busy lately. Plan on starting flights at the beach next weekend to get my arm back into flying shape...
It will be good to have you back, Mike!
After all I fractured my ankle in sympathy of you and OP. :lol: :lol:
Steve90266

Mike Ivy

Post by Steve90266 »

Hey Jim,

Looking forward to flying with you on my new rig!
Steve Murillo