Failure to hook in 6/29/12

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
jonesy

Failure to hook in 6/29/12

Post by jonesy »

I attempted to launch unhooked from the Towers today. With in a couple of steps the base bar was at my chest and I had that "Oh s&%t!" feeling, my weight below the base bar pulled the glider back down and I crashed into the bushes 50-60ft below launch. I've spent a few hours trying to pin point the exact break down or distraction which allowed to me to walk up to launch unhooked (which I typically don't do) and have concluded that all it takes is the slightest deviation from a routine to put one in that position. I usually check again on launch, but also failed to do so. I was very lucky to come away from this incident with a few scrapes and bruises and no obvious damage to my glider. I honestly thought that I had my launch regiment dialed in and that I would never do this. Another example of how vigilant and aware we all need to be about hooking in. You seriously cannot check too many times!
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Very glad your OK
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Same here (happy to hear you are OK). Was in disbelief when I heard about it Saturday on kagel launch.
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Still in disbelief that my dumb ass actually did it!
JD

Post by JD »

jonesy wrote:Still in disbelief that my dumb ass actually did it!
I'm giving you my Whack Award that Phill 'Unhooked @ Towers' Bloom awarded me at the Spring Air. The fact that you and Phill both managed to survive launching unhooked with that steep hillside without having to glide away in a dive then reach for your reserve handles is amazing.

I hope you work out a system that keeps this from ever happening again. If you come up w/ something novel that works please share it. I use the walk-through and 'reach back and feel' techniques but neither one is idiot-proof.