Bad Time To Change Hand Position!

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Mike Blankenhorn

Bad Time To Change Hand Position!

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ1etLFN6n0[/youtube]

As I decided to change hand position and made the move, I was thinking that this is really not a good time to do this but proceeded anyways!
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
JD

Re: Bad Time To Change Hand Position!

Post by JD »

Mike Blankenhorn wrote:....As I decided to change hand position and made the move, I was thinking that this is really not a good time to do this but proceeded anyways!

Mike,

Thanks for the demonstration of why Greblo's BLES method is good procedure. One of the tenets as I recall is to not change your body posture or hand position while in the danger zone as you very generously demonstrate in your video here.

When flying with a soft harness on a Falcon it's very easy to place your hands low on each downtube and keep your body upright while holding the angle of attack low enough and airspeed high enough to overcome most turbulence. The hands stay low on the downtubes all the way down to ground effect and trim speed. After that, it's the pilots choice whether to perform a moon-walk or raise the hands and flare. But not until you are in ground effect and at trim speed.

In rare cases of severe turbulence it may be necessary to keep both hands on the control bar all the way down into ground effect and not make any hand transition until the glider has slowed down to trim speed where there is no bar pressure and with minimal ground clearance. Low enough for your feet to drag. Steve Pearson of Wills Wing uses this technique because it maximizes lateral control in all conditions. However, this is an advanced landing technique and there is little margin for error.

I look forward to your next video demonstrating the BLES method.

Thanks, Jonathan
Mike Blankenhorn

Maybe next time I can look behind me right about the same time? :lol:
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
Jim

Post by Jim »

Just an observation, Mike...
I watched the end of all five videos that post here.

In two out of five, you change hands mid-final, including your "bad landing" episode.
In the remaining three, you change just before landing, as Jonathan suggests for an advanced method.
In two out of five, you miss a downtube on the way there.

Someone is trying to show you something.

Glad I don't video my flights or I'd be forced to admit to the same, occassionally.
Mike Blankenhorn

Jim wrote:Just an observation, Mike...
I watched the end of all five videos that post here.

In two out of five, you change hands mid-final, including your "bad landing" episode.
In the remaining three, you change just before landing, as Jonathan suggests for an advanced method.
In two out of five, you miss a downtube on the way there.

Someone is trying to show you something.

Glad I don't video my flights or I'd be forced to admit to the same, occassionally.
Thanks for pointing this out. Changing position at trim has worked out the best for me in the past. I feel more in control when I stay on the base tube and change at trim, probably has a lot to do with riding motorcycles for 25 years. Lately I have been trying to make it a point to go upright earlier in the approach, like on base, but due my speed as well as flying conditions this has not worked out so well and then try it anyways at the wrong moment. I just need to forget about going upright early unless I am floating in slow and have opportunity to go upright then. But I like coming in fast, it's fun. Yes I probably don't need that much speed sometimes but it's a fun way to end a flight.
Chip suggested one hand on down tube and one on base tube so maybe I should try that
And yes my hands were way too high on the down tubes right after the switch.
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn