I should have just stayed home today...video coming

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Mike Blankenhorn

I should have just stayed home today...video coming

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

Despite myself I still had a fun day because I simply refuse to let things get to me though I had plenty of reason.
Upon discovery of a good size dent in my right leading edge, outside just where the sail edge meets the tube a couple of inches from the tip. I still flew ave S.
Today I asked Greblo if I could use one of his gliders, which he kindly lent me to fly. After getting all my gear situated the hang loops turned out way too long so I shortened twice until acceptable. Now that I could finally launch I cleared launch help and then was waiting without assistance for a warm bubble and as a result of that delay I wound up with the left wing lifted into what we later determined was a half turtle. VIDEO TO FOLLOW SOON!!!
Then after I launched I managed to miss just about every bubble of lift out there so I decided to head home. Of course I wacked on landing to complete the adventure.
I did check the down tubes on Joe's glider BEFORE I went up to make sure they were not bent which I thought he had asked me to do, but neglected to to a thorough check after because after all the times the glider came in contact with the ground were gentle, or so I thought (what could happen, right?).
Anyways in the mayhem of it all I did not treat the free borrowed glider with the proper respect I should have. After the minor hang loop irritation and then being blown over at launch I was thinking for a moment that maybe I am forcing the issue at this point and maybe I should just pack up but tenacity prevailed only to sink out and then wack on landing.
My apologies to Joe Greblo and thank you for lending me your glider, of course I will replace the downtube.
On the upside, I did fly my approach with one hand on the base tube and one on the down tube as recommended to me, and I like that technique over the other ones I have tried.

:D
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn