Minor Mishap on Launch Saturday 02 09 10

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Steve90266

Minor Mishap on Launch Saturday 02 09 10

Post by Steve90266 »

Pilot was at launch, ready to go, with one person on the nose wires, and another behind the starboard wing, at the ready. Pilot yelled "clear" while simultaneously beginning his run. The nose wire person was not able to get out of the way and as a result, one of the wing wires grazed the wire person's head, and knocking the person back on their heels, resulting in a backwards fall down the hill.

Fortunately, the wire person was not injured, and the pilot was able to launch without being cart wheeled back into the hill. Luck was on our side this time.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

PILOTS: make sure to wait for your wire person to actually clear the danger zone of the glider before you make your run. If you don't get an auditory confirmation, turn your head to get a visual confirmation if it is safe to do so. If not, consider yelling again until you get the auditory confirmation.

WIRE PEOPLE:Being a nose wire person is a HUGE responsibility. The very fact that you are needed on the nose means that conditions are rowdy, bordering on potentially unsafe without you. When a pilot yells "Clear!", it means that for a brief moment in time he feels that it's safe enough to start his run. Respect the fact that the launch window can be a very fleeting thing.

As you hold the pilot's nose wires and stand at launch, make an agreement with the pilot as to which side of the glider you intend to clear to. When the pilot yells "Clear!" clear the glider with the utmost haste and yell "Clear!" in a very loud voice once you are clear of the wires. I recommend an aggressive diving maneuver to the side and back behind the wires of the glider. Take a knee and then make an aggressive pivot to visually watch the pilot make his run.

FOOTNOTE: In the time between when a pilot yells "Clear!" and the wire person clears the glider, conditions can change dramatically. Things can go from good to bad in the blink of an eye. It is precisely at this moment when a wire person is needed most. So it is critical for the wire person to turn and look once he/she has cleared the glider. Be ready to jump back on the wing wires and save the pilot from catastrophe.
Steve Murillo
Cyndia

my experience

Post by Cyndia »

Thanks for the reminder Steve; glad the pilot and the nose wire person was ok.
Please also remind folks who are helping on the wing wires to be sure and duck as the pilot starts their run. I launched a couple of weeks ago with pilots standing on each side of me. I yelled clear, my nose person dove out of the way and shouted clear. I started my run and had a very odd reaction in my glider which startled me. I corrected and got safely in the air. Fortunately, the pilot came to me later in the LZ to apologize as my trailing edge had rubbed the top of their head deflecting it enough for me to feel it! I am new enough at this to totally appreciate everyone's help on launch and was glad to understand what happened so I knew it was not something I did wrong cause I sure did try to figure it out while I was in the air!