Report for 130825 Launch Incident

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
RonG

Post by RonG »

BACKGROUND DATA

Time: Approximately 1500H
Weather: clear & moderately windy
Wind: S15-20G25
RASP TUV: 400-450fpm
RASP 225 CUS ceiling: 5-6K
Pilot: H4 + awcl, tur, rlf etc.
Flight Experience : 500+
Hours: 500+
Glider: Airwave Magic Kiss with approximately. 150 hours total flight time. No previous accidents, known repairs or structural modifications.
Glider last flown: 130824, location Crestline, conditions moderate plus, tft approx. 2 hours.

Detailed Summary

Upon arriving at launch site wind conditions were noted to be hectic but appeared to be mellowing somewhat over the hour-long setup period. At launch time wind activity was cautionary but not considered to be above reasonable safety or experience levels. During setup approximately 5 pilots launched without any significant experiences or incidents. One previous launch was noted to be lower than the others similar to the one described herein.

On launch I waited about 3-5 minutes watching cycles. At which point at a time consistent with previous observed cycles the clear command was given and proceeded. The wind flag below launch was staight, the wind appeared smooth in the 15-20mph range. No contact or problems were encountered with any of the launch wire crew. Launch was smooth and wings were level.

Immediately after 2 steps pilot weight loaded the glider, it accelerated forward and then began to rise somewhat upward as the wing crested past the ramp edge and began flying. At this time there were no indications that anything in the process had gone wrong. Upon the sensed upward acceleration the control bar was pulled in slightly in anticipation of a stronger lift. The anticipated lift never materialized and I refocused attention to the ramp below. There were no indications to me the glider had stalled as there was a solid wind against my face. I was confident the glider would clear the bushes with 2-3 feet of clearance. I recall clearly noting the glider's flight vector becoming steeper however, approx. 45 degrees, and parallel the launch ramp. A downward acceleration - stronger than normal or expected - occurred without any significant nose drop. Normally, stalls on this glider are very mellow but the nose does drop significantly. Still on the uprights I pushed out some to adjust the AOA and flight path angle but did not observe or sense any change. At some point I am under the impression that the long keel was in contact with the launch ramp preventing blocking further pitch and AOA adjustments.

The instant before ground contact I believe to have performed a substantial full flare in order to clear the last few feet of the ramp. At least I was substantially far back. It was in this position the glider first made impact. I recall the actual force of the impact did not feel heavy, probably because the flare had partially redirected horizontally due to the flaring. It felt more like a bounce. The linear forward motion however then converted to angular rotation and the nose rotated downward on the slope, stopping somewhat close to vertical. During this rotation I was lifted above the ground inverted somewhat and then dropped. Going through the uprights I grabbed the left side to swing somewhat left of center. This dropped me onto the ground on my right side while my right arm was tucked under me. After a brief slide I came rest with my head pointed up the hill. After a bit of daze and dirt in my eyes I noticed my right arm appeared broken while trying to get up. There was no pain then or within the next day.

I recall that several sharp edge rocks were directly under the break point after the impact. In addition I had slid about 3-5 feet down the hill. I am under the belief that when the glider rotated I may have been dropped onto the exposed edge of one the railroad ties, or possibly onto the rocks directly. Both of these have edges consistent with the bone break point. At this time, I can not say for certain. In my opinion the initial impact or contact with the ground was not the cause of any glider or physical damage. All of it appears to have happened when the nose rotated downward. The rotation forced an airflow redirected onto the top of the sail forcing an impact much stronger for both the glider and myself.

At this writing I have not inspected the glider. I recall after the event noting the uprights were slightly bent but still intact. Apparently only the nose had contacted the ground. I will relay any news details found at a later date. Hopefully this experience will be informative to anyone interested in crash dynamics.

I am not under any opinion that ramp configuration had any influence on the incident but am more inclined to feel that since it was a reasonably stong TUV day that the down drafts were more unpredictable.

I hope this will add some clarity to what happened.

RonG

Update: The final report of the injury was determined to be very positive. No surgery will be needed and a full recovery is expected soon.

On a last note, I would like to express my thanks to everyone who helped pull me off that steep slope dirt, help construct the finest in field splits, helped bring me back out of my post flight daze, and at least a dozen other good deeds. You are what make the hang gliding community what it is today.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

So glad that you don't require surgery. Looking down at your quivering arm, I expected the worst... It's SO WEIRD...From my perspective on your side wire, I NEVER saw you get airborne! IMO (which is probably all wrong and influenced by how stupid of a pilot I am), I never saw you get airborne, at all. I saw a negative nose angle and a great run that never launched. I SO wish we had a video. It didn't seem like you had enough space to stall and land where you did; it seems like a stall and dive would have put you much further down the slope than that. But you're the dude who lived through it, so I'll defer to you... Lyndon, who also viewed the incident pretty much agreed with you...It just goes to show how unreliable eyewitnesses can be... (Note to self...)
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Steve90266

Mishap on launch

Post by Steve90266 »

Sorry to hear about your arm, Ron, but glad you are OK otherwise. Thank you for posting.
Steve Murillo