Rabaul IJNAF - sexually deprived pilots more accident-prone

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
dhmartens

Rabaul IJNAF - sexually deprived pilots more accident-prone

Post by dhmartens »

I remembered a documentary on WW2 Japanese naval pilots where many were supplied a "well-trained" wife also educated and conversational on many varied topics. It is safety related so I will post it in spite of the subject matter.

From this article:
http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/C/o/Comfort_Women.htm
"... Navy pilots at Rabaul were strongly encouraged to use the comfort stations in the belief that sexually deprived pilots were more accident-prone. Informal reasons for maintaining the comfort system included a Japanese superstition that sexual relations with a woman, were a charm against defeat in battle. "

Interesting contrast of training philosophy.
From this article:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/ijnaf.htm

IJNAF had made a decision about the conduct of the war which was to have far reaching consequences. Training of new pilots was cut back. This put all of its aerial strength "up front" and enabled it to compete with the Americans and their allies on more even basis
Americans, by contrast, chose exactly the opposite strategy after the war was just a few months old. After a short period of trying to put their own stength "up front", they deliberately retained their best pilots as flight instructors for future waves of candidate pilots. They invested large quantities of gasoline in the training of new pilots.
JD

Post by JD »

So this is the true meaning of USHPA's 'Focused Pilot' safety campaign?
Can I use my pink bracelet as more than just a 'retaining' ring around my Rosie?
Can I now call upon Steve Murillo to help me connect with some 'ahem' safety coaching?

If the above is true, then this sure gives the old Elsinore/Funston term 'safety meeting' a whole new meaning. "No, I don't want to blow some weed...."

Inquiring (and safety conscious) minds want to know more.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

NO WONDER they laugh at us and call us FREDS! I bet if we try REALLY hard we can get a little more sophomoric...
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
JD

Post by JD »

jcflies wrote:....I bet if we try REALLY hard we can get a little more sophomoric...
Have at it! Feel free to recruit as many 3rd graders as you can muster to volunteer.
Malury

Post by Malury »

Hmm, perhaps this will help me out with Tokiko...stay tuned.
Pi-rep coming soon.