Pilot fails to buckle into his harness. Great video

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Steve90266

Pilot fails to buckle into his harness. Great video

Post by Steve90266 »

Steve Murillo
JD

Post by JD »

Steve,

How about an open forum discussion on how Greg Porter's pre-flight failure relates to each of us in SHGA (and it does relate). I offer these questions to start:

What can I change in my own routine or habits to prevent a similar launch incident from happening to me?

If I am faced with landing fully-zipped--do I have safer options than what the video shows?

Cheers,
Jonathan
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Take some advice from a guy who has launched without leg loops on TWO occasions. You do not need to land zipped up. You can unzip and stand on you the boot of your harness until the very last moment. This is what I did the first time. The second time I decided that I needed to secure myself somehow before I landed. I was unable to hook even one leg loop while flying but I did manage to unbuckle my belt and run it through a leg loop and reattach. This secured me to the harness and I had a normal landing.
Malury

Post by Malury »

The one time that I failed to get in my leg loops I landed the way Rob did. I stood on the boot with one leg, getting out at the last moment and hanging by my arm pits momentarily.

It was an acceptable landing but what if something else had gone wrong on this flight?

The real question is how can a pilot make sure this never happens? I remember doing a hang check that day but my focus was on basetube clearance and hang strap/ Caribiner.

I use a Z5 harness and the very first thing I do is get in the loops and look at them. Still not foolproof.

With aloha from Hilo.
greblo

Post by greblo »

Some time ago, a young flight instructor from another school turned Windsports onto this Hang Check List called the 4 C's.

After hooking in, lie down prone in the harness and check..........

Connections (All connections from the glider on down to the harness)
Clearance (Height above the base tube)
Crotch (Reach between the legs to make sure the leg straps are buckled)
Chin Strap ( Reach up and check to see your helmet's buckled properly)
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Rome Dodson

hook in

Post by Rome Dodson »

in 39 years and over 5.000 flights, i ALMOST took off twice without hooking in, and once 38 years ago i forgot my leg loops, in a cacoon harness. no problem launching, but in flight i thought i don't remember doing my leg loops, and sure enough ,they were not hooked. we were going to lly ave. S,but the wind shifted and we took off the SOUTH side.i just did a belly landing & was ok. it's mainly the well experienced pilots who get complacent.every one should step thru the a frame to feel the tight ropes. rome
gregangsten

leg loops

Post by gregangsten »

I've done it twice myself, I must admit. Landed on my feet both times without too much trouble. Got out of the boot late and just ran it out.

When I switched from Betty's Tracer harness to one with leg loop buckles I had the habit built in of not worrying about leg loops. Her Tracer design pretty much eliminates this possibility.