Master rated pilot plows into clueless newbee

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Chip
Site Admin

Master rated pilot plows into clueless newbee

Post by Chip »

Accident/Incident Report Form Information Follows:

Report Date: 2/6/2007 4:49:43 PM
HG or PG: Hang Gliding
Reporter Name: ROMAN DODSON
Reporter City: SYLMAR CA.
Pilot Date Of Birth: 10-27-28 :o
Pilot Rating: MASTER :roll:
Pilot Experience No Flights: 3500 +
Pilot Years of Experience: 33
Accident Site: KAGEL LAUNCH

Accident Description: WAITED FOR LULL IN DOWNWIND.NO WIRE MAN. FELLOW PILOT TO R SIDE HOLLERING "GO, GO". I HOLLARED CLEAR AND STARTED RUN. R WING STOPPED AND TURNED ME 90 TO R. CRASHED AT BOTTOM OF RAMP. DOWN WIND CAUGHT HI WING AND SLOWLY ROLLED ME OVER FRONT RAMP EDGE, 4 FOOT DROP. I LANDED ON SAIL, WITH MINOR BRUSE.IT WAS 1/2 MY FAULT, I DIDN'T LOOK TO SEE IF THE IDIOT WAS IN FRONT OF SAIL. 2 LAUNCHES LATER HE WAS AGAIN IN FRONT OF PILOTS SAIL, PILOT SAID "YOU SON OF A BITCH GET BEHIND MY SAIL" THIS PILOT HASN'T A CLEW, AND I AM RECOMENDIND HE BE BANNED FROM RAMP UNLESS HE IS HOOKED INTO HIS GLIDER :oops:

ROME
JT

Member?

Post by JT »

I looked the alleged pilot up and couldn't find his name in the database for SHGA. Has he not been added or has someone started collecting day-fees from him?

Also, apparently, someone felt the need to yank him back behind before Rob launched, way before Rome, although it's not clear he was obstructing at that time.

"Houston, we have a problem."
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

The clueless newbee you speak of has been spoken to and I think he has learned his lesson as I had seen that he clearly kept out of the way of launch last Saturday (Feb 10) until he was ready to fly. Joe and I were the second to last glider off the mountain for our tandem. I won't mention who it is, it's not my place to.
Jamie Krasnoo